Jet lag and Ninjas in Japan

Trip Start Jun 07, 2008
Trip End Jun 28, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Japan  , Kanto,
Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Moshi moshi from Japan! (Tallulah says moshi moshi as well)

Yesterday afternoon we arrived in Japan after a 14-hour flight from New York. The plane was a 777, which is super fast. Finally we got to sit in business class, which was awesome. The seats tilted all the way back into a bed, and we got to watch our own movies. I watched Hancock, Batman, Get Smart, and a long cartoon show. The food was bad, so I only ate the bread, which was good. We flew west, across the international date line, so the sun never set the whole time we were up there.

We got to Tokyo at about 2 o'clock in the afternoon, which felt like 3 o'clock in the morning New York time. The taxi ride in from the airport took a long time, almost an hour and a half. We checked into a really cool hotel. Here's what is cool about the hotel:

- The lobby is on the 41st floor, and there are windows on all sides looking out over Tokyo
- We are on the 44th floor (there are 52 all together). The view is amazing.
- On the 47th floor there is a pool and a gym we looked at. My cousin Charlsi would love to swim here.
- The toilets are heated, they make music, and they spray water on you
- There is a library

This morning I woke up at 4am, and Dad and Tallulah and I went downstairs and watched movies on his computer. We are all super jet lagged. When it got light, we went outside, and found a great playground across the street from the hotel. The only other people there were old people doing exercises on the monkey bars. After a while, we went to a little store and got breakfast. There was nothing really for me to eat, not even cereal. Lu got a hot dog. We came back and woke up Mom, and now she is out for a run. Hope she doesn't get lost.

Tonight we went to a Ninja restaurant with our friends Meredith and Isa and their mom Kathleen.  They moved here two years ago and they seem to really like it.  Meredith is 11 and in sixth grade and she can already speak a lot of Japanese.  She helped translate to the waiters.  Meredith told us that there are three different alphabets in Japanese - it seems hard to learn!  Isa is 8 next week and she is in second grade.   She is really funny. 

At the Ninja place, we had to wait outside a black door for a ninja to take us to our table.  We climbed up and down through some dark tunnels and over a secret drawbridge to find our room.  We sat at a table on the floor and had to take off our shoes.  For dinner, I had temura prawns which was actually like fried shrimp.  Our dessert was the coolest - it came in a big wooden box with steam coming out on all sides and when you opened it, steam poured out everywhere.  We did not know what some of the food was, but it was cool looking. 

At the end of dinner, a ninja came in and did magic tricks.  He swallowed some fire right next to me, then he did card tricks and also disappearing tricks were he made lemons appear and disappear.  He was really good.  After dinner, the kids ran around on the streets and played tag for a while.   I like Japan.  Tomorrow we have to find me a Halloween costume because we are going trick-or-treating with Meredith and Isa at their house.  I wonder what kind of candy we will get? 

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: