Phuc Quoc

Trip Start Jan 31, 2011
Trip End Dec 15, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Nhat Lan

Flag of Vietnam  , Quang Tri,
Monday, June 13, 2011

06:27 I slept reasonably well on the bus considering it wasn't a sleeper bus. Although I'm in a mood now because at getting off I was of course surrounded by taxi bikes wanting my custom to take me to the dock which I knew couldnt be far but they said was a 20 min drive away and opening price 100,000, to which I was disgusted at how money grabbing they are and said no way. He got to 50,000 and I said alright, got on and then he drove me pretty much round in a circle round the streets and 5 mins later I was at the dock and didn't have anything less in my purse as I announced my disgust at having paid over the odds for not going far and his blatant deception. Its really pissing me off now. Plus a seller on the bus yesterday selling small bags of popcorn and prawn crackers blatantly sold a bag of crackers to the people in front of me for 5000, and when I asked or some she said 10,000 and pretty much refused my attempts to say it should be 5,000 and I just saw her sell it for as much, AND tell Neil it was that much as well! I refused and tried to hand them back while she insisted I take them and pay 10,000, until the bus driver said she had to get off as we were leaving and she took 6,000 out of my hands. Even the vietnamese people I've met say all anyone cares about is money. We had a small boy walk with us yesterday from the village to a mosque where we took our shoes off, we came back and he'd put flowers in. I thought I was sweet until he spent the entire walk back pestering us for money
Oh, and the card game the other day? Philipino mafia! There was a poster on the wall in the booking office, which I am not impressed with at all. Don't use TM Brothers Travel, useless, bad value and don't see things through. Even told our guide to ask us for extra money for the transfer from the bus station back to the backpackers, even though really we should have been on a private minibus door to door the entire journey and ended up coming back on a public bus!
So, my mood right now is pretty poor.
09:27 There are lots of little islands on the way to Phuc Quoc, I suppose it's not surprising really, but somehow I am surprised.
18:06 I arrived at the island and found the waiting vultures in the form of taxis. I eventually found a reasonably prices one and ultimately stayed at the hotel he worked at. The place I'm staying is on long beach, on the beach in my own bungalow. It's very simple but right next to the beach. I unpacked my stuff onto the spare bed and having rented a scooter went on a ride to the town where I was looking for a diving centre. I found several and picked one where I'll go to the south of the island, the reason being that the jelly fish are heading in from the north from the gulf of Thailand.

Next I went to Buddy's for lunch where I picked up a map of the island as I have my bike to go exploring on. Just up the road was a Cao Dai Temple, so I had a look in and a guy there let me have a really good explore and I even got up the roof so I could see over the town. 
Next I went up to a Pepper farm I saw on my way to the hotel, and had a short look around there. 
After that I went back to the hotel and sat on a deck chair on the beach, reading and eventually snoozing after my long night. I went back and washed my clothes and found that ants had found their way into  all my bags particularly where I had some food. Little buggers. The way I got round their cunning ways was to put all my food in a dry sac and hang it off the top of my mosquito net pole.
I went to the night market for dinner and was slightly surprised when I saw a woman throwing a chair at someone she was shouting at, she actually chased him up the road rethrowing the chair at him! I looked around at the various stalls with sea food and decided on a spot to have dinner - corn on the cob and kebabs with chicken, squid and shrimp on them.
18:56 All of a sudden it got very windy and very cold as the wind whipped at the plastic sheeting over the night Market food stalls.
Then the rain came and I didn't bring my waterproof for the ride home consequently I rode back and got totally soaked - actually standing in my room with water dripping off my trousers! 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Grandpa (95) on

Damn good photography - keep up the good work.

Mummers on

Please bring back, Best, Worst, Most beautiful!

Courtney on

Loved the update!! Pretty much sent me right back into a fit of laughter reliving all the craziness! So I made it into Cambodia and am currently chilling out in Sihanoukville. Not sure if you're heading this way or when you'll be in Cambodia but keep me posted...perhaps our dates and locations will line up!
Take care, Court :)

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: