Lamma Island and The Peak

Trip Start Jan 31, 2011
Trip End Dec 15, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of China  ,
Tuesday, April 19, 2011

09:41 I couldn't help but have to get up early this morning, it was 8.50 when the constant noise from the drilling outside seeped through my earplugs and into my ears, making it impossible to sleep. This wouldn't be a problem if one of the guys in our dorm didn't want the windows wide open all night (with air con on??)

I packed my bag with apple juice, a banana and an apple. I'm going to the islands and will probably take a walk so a bit of fruit will keep me going.
11:23 Arriving on Lamma island was certainly a bit different to anywhere else. It was very short, and very rural. There were even houses on stilts clinging to a hills edge bit suspended over the water. As I walked down the main road there were seafood restaurants with lots of different fish and lobster and clams all in tanks. I followed the main road down the streets only as wide as pavements, for there are no cars here. I eventually reached a temple, it was another Tin Hau - which now I know means Temple by the Water, which is why there are lots of them!

After that the road just tailed off and I was left to walk up some more small 'roads' winding past peoples houses. There were no signs so I just wandered about a bit and 10 mins later found the signposts to the beach I was heading towards. It was a pretty beach, in one direction - looking at the hills and shoreline in the distance. However, look right and there's a great view of the power station (great if you like looking at powerstations). The other irritant was that there was a man with a small and noisy digger scooping sand into a small pickup truck type vehicle moving sand from one point to another. So what would have been a nice rest on a pretty beach with the sound of waves, became a pretty beach, a powerstation and the incessant noise of a vehicle.

It was time to carry on with my walk towards Sok Kwu Wan
12:08 Parts of this walk reminded me of a walk I used to do when I was very young living in Kippford - the Jubilee Path walk. The similarities being that it is a slim well maintained path that goes along a coastline but some way up on the hill and you're surrounded by trees and greenery, with the birds singing. Although here it is about 26 degrees and there is also the sound that little black cricket things make- a sort of clicky sound, almost like when you rotate your bicycle pedals backwards.
I cooled off in a lookout pavilion, of which there are a few along the way. The one I am in now is a very poor lookout pavilion however as it has no lookout at all! They should have built it 10m nearer the sea because it looks at trees and it's only purpose is as a shady place to sit and cool off. It is just another half hour walk to Sok, where I will have a well deserved lunch and cold drink. If there is somewhere to paddle, I might do that (after all, I have a towel!) and read my book.
13:04 I have arrived at Sok Kwu and looking at the seafood restaurants menu prices they are clearly for people with larger food budgets than me. As much as I'd love to have some garlic prawns or a bit of lobster, these are the Chinese servings - basically the smallest dish serves 2 people and the price also reflects that. I opted for lemon chicken at 50 with a bowl of rice for 8. I may have to ask for a doggy bag and take half of it home, after all it is probably a portion for 2. No wonder I keep eating fast food, it's designed for 1. Hard as try, I can't convince restaurants o give me a half portion with rice and charge me half the price.
My massive portion arrived. I was somewhat disconcerted to find a deep fried bug in the lemon sauce....but I'm going to ignore that because actually the chicken is quite tasty.

I have a seat by water, looking out at all the little boats tied up and together by wooden planks floating on the water. I don't think people live here but there are lots of little sheds with seats etc.
17:33 After getting the boat back I walked to exchange square and caught the number 15 bus up the peak. When the bus stopped right at stewart terrace I jumped out and went down the hill to where my parents used to live. I took some photos and a guy came out and asked who I was looking for, after I tried to explain my parents used to, he didn't quite understand, then I showed him the picture of my birth certificate, then the date, then he understood. After that he was really nice and took me to the other side of the building where there is a pool and a garden, he also kept asking if I remembered it, I didn't have the heart to say I barely lived there, just that I was very small when I left and couldn't remember a thing.

I walked along the road towards the peak for a while, looking for the hospital. When I came a couple of weeks ago I thought I'd passed the hospital, I actually hadn't I discovered as I walked along following the signs. I didn't make it as the road which it goes on went down hill quite steeply, and as I didn't know how far I didn't want to find myself halfway down a steep hill with the prospect of coming back up again! I turned back and came to the Peak Galleria to see the view by day but also to create some time lapse photos as the sun went down.

The pollution is really apparent from up here, a distinctly brown cloud clings to the city and above is clear blue, cloudless sky. I can barely see to Kowloon.
19:42 Peak tram appears to be $28
23:36 Wow, what a totally random and fun night! Whilst on the peak taking my time-lapse shots I overheard a couple of people charting next to me, one was an American guy the other a south African girl. I interjected when appropriate and we all got chatting. After watching the sun go down and the lights change in the city we decided we'd all go for something to eat, so 4 of us - Talita, Eric and Lucas - a canadian we also acquired, went for dinner. Eric left at 9 to catch his plane but me, Lucas and Talita went for a drink on Hollywood road. We grabbed a corner table next to 3 Americans in business dress and eventually we all started chatting. This led to the 6 of us having a good laugh with wine, (the 2 guys were businessmen but also standup comedians, and one also had his wife there. I had a couple of glasses of wine and we all had such fun. They gave us their business cards after I had also mentioned I might think about working here and they said they had lots of contacts. So, you never know, a few month from now I could be here. I could be anywhere, but the point is, I really don't mind where I am.

23:46 Stupid person! I was so busy writing, and I'm a bit drunk so I missed my stop and had to come back again! lol!

Best today: the walk on the hill on Lamma Island, and meeting strangers turning into a good party

Worst: having to experience this alone

Most Beautiful: watching the Peak view change from day to night
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


von_adder on

"Worst: having to experience this alone"

Your not alone Zoe, us seasoned travellers are all with you spiritually and following the blog with gusto!

Ps, Op Flash Red River is out today, though we may have it finished co-op wise by the time you get back :P lol

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: