752.6 miles

Trip Start Mar 18, 2010
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Tony's House

Flag of United States  , California
Thursday, March 18, 2010

So...I'm having trouble uploading pictures since the only wifi hotspot I could find in Tahoe appears to be operating on 28.8 kb/s. If you're viewing through my Facebook notes, click the link at the top that says something like "View full entry and photos" I'll have some photos and videos up as soon as possible, but it could be a couple days.

The drive was long, but not too bad. From Bellevue, I drove over Lake Washington on the I-90 bridge so I could have one last look at the beautiful city I have come to call home over the last 8 years. It was a gorgeous day. I could see Mt Baker to the north, Rainier to the south, the Olympics in front of me, and the Cascades behind me. As I looked out beyond Safeco and Qwest Field, across the Port of Seattle and over to West Seattle, I realized (but not for the first time) how fortunate i have been to live among such uniquely beautiful surroundings. 

From Seattle, it was about three hours to Portland where I picked up Dan at Portland State University. We had connected to Craigslist Rideshare and I agreed to give him a ride to Medford for $20. It came to pretty much a straight split for the gas I used while he was in the car.

We stopped at a great little park for a few minutes to let Wallie out and take care of his business. There were several signs with the little picture of a dog walking with his owner. Clearly, dogs were allowed at that park, so I threw the tennis ball around for him for a few minutes. No more than three minutes later, another guy came walking up to me with his dog. "You know," he said, "I don't get why people are so uptight about letting dogs run around in this park." He then dropped the leash and Max and Wallie chased each other around for a good 15 minutes. Everybody wins!

I realized, just after getting out of Seattle, that I had left my spare wheel in the garage. I had meant to bring it with me and get a new tire for it while I was on the road so I had to stop anyway, but nobody seemed to carry the wheel until finally I found a place in Eugene that had everything I needed. The wheel was an extra $60 expense I wasn't counting on, but as Dan pointed out, it's still  cheaper than a tow truck.

Back on the road for another hour or so, and I dropped Dan in Medford. Wallie then quickly reclaimed shotgun, and we made our way to California. As we approached Mt. Shasta, I realized how valuable a real camera would be. The iPhone is great, and the resolution is pretty impressive for closeups, but it just cannot do a mountain justice. I think I'll have to see if my buddy Craig knows anybody with a good camera they don't want anymore. By the way, any reference to  Craig or CL or even "the list" - it all means Craigslist. Craigslist has been such an amazing resource for me already and I plan on depending on it for many things for the duration of my trip. I've already started an entry on Craig which I will continue to update and post before long.

It finally started to get dark with about three hours to go before Sacramento. This was just as well because, from what I could tell, there wasn't a whole lot to see anyway. Just before midnight I made it to Tony's house. We sat around for about an hour, just bs'ing about all the guys from the frat and who's doing what. Then we went to  his favorite Mexican drive-through: At Alburto's. There's a  Taco Bell right next to it, and if I wasn't with a local, I probably would have gone with what's familiar. Luckily, that was not the case. Alburto's was quite an experience for fast food. First of all, the menu does you no favors. No pictures, not even a description of what's inside anything. I looked at the menu for a second, paused and looked at  Tony and, with no shame for cliches, asked, "What's good here?" 

"Get the California," he said
"What's in it?"
"I don't know."

Great…well, whatever. I'm here for adventure. So we ordered, although I'm not sure  that was clear to the guy who was taking our order because the guy at the window seemed real confused when we pulled up. So some other lady came over and answered all of our seemingly stupid questions about what was in everything we had ordered. We changed our entire order, but ended up with some amazing authentic Mexican fast food. 
From Sacramento,

Zach and Wallie

Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: