Waihi Beach - the final days!

Trip Start Nov 09, 2008
Trip End Apr 02, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  , North Island,
Thursday, February 19, 2009

An amusing incident at Waihi beach was Yvonne's encounter with a possum - no photos though!  Yvonne was heading over the narrow little footbridge across the stream that went through the campsite, where in the early evening you could see eels waiting to be fed by campers, and she met, half way across, what she thought was a cat.  She gave it a quick ssshhh to move it on, expecting it to scamper but it stood there.  As Yvonne's eyes adjusted to the light it became apparent that it was a little sturdier than a cat and it had what looked like a bread crust in its mouth.  Fortunately, after what seemed to be an eternity, the creature decided to retreat and headed to the bottom of a tree where it clung on for a moment and then went off  into the undergrowth.  It was at this point Yvonne realised that it was a possum she had encountered.  After repeating the tale to several people it would appear that it was lucky that the possum retreated as when they are frightened they take off to the highest point, which on this occasion could have been Yvonne!
We spent our last day at Waihi Beach visiting Anzac Bay, which had been recommended to us by a helpful cleaning lady who had a young family and understood the need for a safe beach.  D took his fishing rod and attempted some fishing, but nothing was biting.  The funniest sight was Steven, who found a long thin leaf and which had bent in the middle and was attempting to fish with it.  He also enjoyed clambering over the rocks at the end of the beach, as always, showing no idea of danger!
In the morning, a different cleaning lady on the campsite had told D that the weather forecast was that there was a cyclone coming.  Not taking any chances, we packed everything we could in the car that evening and disposed of all the camping gear we would no longer need by leaving it in a box in the kitchen on site with a note asking people to help themselves!  We settled down for the night expecting the worst.  In the morning it was raining and had been blustery, but not yet a cyclone!  Although the rain sounded bad, as it always does when you're in a tent, we got up and did the last of the packing and disposed of the sleeping bags and tent in the bins on the campsite. 
We then set off towards Auckland and indeed the rain came down, getting worse as we went along.  We felt smug because we had managed to get away just at the right moment, although D still feels the day before would have been a better moment!  As it turned out no cyclone arrived, although there were reports on the news of flooding in the area.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: