Return to Christchurch

Trip Start Nov 09, 2008
Trip End Apr 02, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  , South Island,
Monday, February 2, 2009

As we had been resting on our previous three nights in Christchurch and had not really visited anywhere, we decided that a return visit would be good.  Passing rapidly through Dunedin and stopping for a short while at Oamaru where we stopped in the hope of viewing some blue penguins, only to find there were four chicks around, all the rest being out at sea, we ploughed on. 
Having decided that we needed a break from sleeping under canvas, we arrived at a campsite that has an excellent playground, with a jumping pillow (like the base of a bouncy castle), and booked into a Kozi Kiwi!  This turned out to be a hexagonal wooden hut that had two bedrooms, living room/kitchen and a shower room.  We wallowed in the luxury of warmth, the ability to stand up and walk and the comfort of mattresses! Yvonne had lots of vodka to celebrate these luxuries!
We then decided that, due to the excellent playground, we would stay on the tent site for a further three nights.  The camp sites in New Zealand are very good and most have good kitchen and laundry facilities, which are better than the facilities offered at many motels.  After an hour and a half putting the tent up, during which time Yvonne was impressed with D's tenacity over getting the tent just right, albeit understandable after the exploits in Invercargill.
We drove to Akaroa which is on the Banks Peninsula, about an hour and a half from Christchurch where we spent time chasing seagulls and eating, in D's case, an excellent meal of blue cod and chips and in Yvonne's case a box of vegetarian goodies, including onion rings, baby samosas, spring rolls, corn balls, pineapple fritter, a sort of broccoli in white sauce in breadcrumbs, hash browns, chips, coleslaw and even a slice of lemon to squeeze on it!  Steven settled for a few chips but stuffed himself on pasta in tomato sauce later that day.
The next day we spent an afternoon at the Orana Wildlife Park.  It is an excellent park and was very quiet as the children in New Zealand went back to school on Monday.  The habitats for the animals were excellent, which did mean that some of them couldn't be seen very well but we felt this was good in the interests of happy animals.  We fed some giraffes with leaves, watched the lions being fed and got see some kiwis which are becoming increasingly rare and not often seen in the wild.
In the evening, Steven had fun bouncing on the bouncing pillow and having watched some older boys somersaulting, decided that he would like to do 'rounding' too!  He tried unsuccessfully!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: