So much to do, so far to drive

Trip Start Jan 27, 2013
Trip End Feb 26, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Indonesia  , North Sumatra,
Monday, February 11, 2013

We left for the 8am ferry which brought us back to land. We had a taxi waiting that would chauffeur us to four locations and then back to Angels in Medan...would be a long full day.

Our driver was great, a little slow though compared to crazy man, we were trying to push him to pass people. Our first stop was a majestic huge waterfall, but we needed to walk a long way down tricky steps, and it was really hot. I made it down along with Marc. It was a nice feeling and then the trek back was super tough in the blazing heat. Our second stop was a temple burial area, very old but nice.

We had a diner at a locale restaurant, food was ok, but it was what we didn't eat that saved the Canadians that day, we avoided the spicy sauce, our Dutch friends didn't.

Our next stop was a volcano climb. This was a nice steady relaxed climb that took around 1 hour. We walked though forest, tunnels, old stone steps and then up a steady rocky slop. The payoff was to hear this active volcano spew out the sulfur with so much force that it sounds like a jet engine taking off. It smelled of rotten egg and we were well above the clouds. The way down was easier.

After being soaked in sweat our last stop was the hot springs, were Sofie and I swam and washed and very much enjoyed it. Very refreshing and cleansing. More pictures with the locals. We left and drove to Medan in heavy slow traffic.

In the evening we returned to Angels in Medan for one final night. I got the last room which was nothing more than a bed and shower, but I figured one night would be ok. We sat around downstairs and after a few sips of his beer, Nick joined his wife upstairs who had already retired for the night since she was feeling bad. After a little while I decided to check on them and found them both so sick, I offered to get them something to help but all they wanted was a second bucket. I felt for them since it had happened to me and knew they had a long sleepless night in store for themselves. I walked around outside and picked up two Magnum ice cream bars (since Sofie had mentioned over the last 2 days she would like to have one) and then some very fancy doughnuts and walked back to the hotel. I gave away 2 doughnuts to Marc and a female tourist he was hanging with, and then headed upstairs. I knocked on Nicks door and offered the ice cream to Sofie who wisely refused politely, and then showed Nick the doughnuts and he said no, closed the door and rushed to the washroom. I found them another garbage bucket for their needs (I had no clue it was holy and could not hold water).

After a couple more hours we also retired for the night. After a really hot start (no ac) it started smelling like strong, and then at 5am again the mosques started their chanting...horrible night all together for all of us. Not sure if I slept at all. Glad to be out of there and moving on, but sad it would be without Nick and Sofie.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: