For your amusement...Travis the half-beard

Trip Start Sep 17, 2007
Trip End Oct 08, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Peru  ,
Wednesday, October 31, 2007

We have received so many comments regarding the half-beard sink incident that, for the benefit of our readers, we have decided to recreate the scene.  Here, as accurately as it could be reproduced given cold water and a bad razor, is Travis the half-beard.

While Iīm here, Iīd like to share an anecdote in order that you, the reader, can appreciate what troubles we go through to bring you news from foreign lands.

We arrived in Cuzco today and had two goals.  One: do laundry.  Two: take all the pictures we have taken and download them onto a DVD so we could clear the cards. 

So we took our bag of laundry, probably less than half a load, and walked down to the Plaza.  Itīs quite a hike.  We brought it into the first place with a laundry sign.  She took our bag, hung it from a scale, and declared it 5 kilos.  It was 4 soles a kilo.  This worked out to about seven dollars to wash half a load of laundry.  We didnīt have room for that in the budget.  So we decided to take it back to the hotel and wash them in the sink.  First mission- a failure.

Undeterred, we went to the Internet place near our hotel that said it could burn DVDs.  They said we could load the pictures onto the computer, and then share the folder and they would burn the DVD up front.  All good in theory.

We have 5 cards and 7 GBs of memory.  It takes quite a while to load each card.  I started with my first card.  About 90 percent of the way through the scene disappeared.  I started it again.  This time I caught the error.  The drive they wanted me to load it on was full.  Half hour down.  No progress.

They moved me to another computer.  I loaded the 1GB and was halfway through the 2GB when the computer had some sort of internal error and gave me a blue screen.  Another half hour.  Still no progress.

At this point we gave up on me and moved to Erinīs computer.  She managed to successfully get all 4.4GBs of information onto the computer.  Another hour.  We were ready to burn. 

I had the guy come over, look at the size, and share the folder so he could burn it.  He got up and walked past the computer on the way back to grab the folder on his computer.  I followed him, then turned to see Erin looking at the computer screen in puzzlement.  It was dark.  There was no light on the monitor or computer.  The power box was dead.  The lady came over and fiddled with the cord leading to the power supply.  The light flicked back on.  The computer restarted.  All of our information was gone. 

Iīm sure youīve had a similar experience at some point with a computer.  I was pretty mad.  At first I thought someone had just knocked the cord with their foot.  But soon after the computer shut down again.  It was some kind of faulty connection.  I was angry.

As I write this the guy at this place is uploading our pictures to DVD.  He just came over to tell me not to shut down the computer.  Lets all hope that it works this time.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: