Washington DC

Trip Start Sep 18, 2009
Trip End Nov 03, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , District of Columbia
Wednesday, October 7, 2009

It was an early start to drop the car off at Orlando airport. We were supposed to find a gas station to fill the car with fuel but couldn't find one on the freeway to the airport so expected to have to pay the overpriced cost of fuel to the rental company. The lovely lady at Dollar decided to not notice the tank wasn't full and so we didn't have to pay. Awesome!!! It certainly helps to have four little girls who charm everyone they meet.

Todays flight was with Southwest and they were a pretty good airline. They are one of the only US domestic airlines that don't charge for checked baggage. Our landing in DC at Dulles was a little hairy due to the 40mph winds.
We took the bus to the metro and after several minutes trying to work out how to buy 6 tickets from the machine we headed to Foggy Bottom Metro station. We headed down 23rd St which was about 4 blocks before we turnd onto E ST. We must have looked so funny with the six of walking single file with our luggage wheeling behind us. mark said we were like six little ducks. We fould the hotel easily and were very impressed with our one bedroom apartment with a huge bedroom with two queens, a living room with pull out queen sofa and a kitchen and dining area. There was a CVS pharmacy right underneath so we did some shopping and saved some money by not having to eat out. The best part was being able to see the Washingtn Monument (obelisk) and the Capital Building from our room.

Our first afternoon we headed the five blocks to see the Whitehouse. Washington is a great city to see on foot. The footpaths are wide and it felt very safe during the day. We then walked down past the Reflecting pool and the Lincoln Memorial before walking back to the hotel. The girls enjoyed having their own Plasma Tv in the bedrrom to watch thir shows so we had a few hours of peace and quiet!!

Our first full day in Washingotn we decided to see a couple of the Smithsonian museums. We caught the metro to the Mall and walkd up to the Capitol Building to take a few pictures before having a look through the American Indian museum. We watched an interactive film about all the different tribes throughout the US and Mexico and then enjoyed looking through a lot of the historical displays.

the next stop was the Air and Spae Museum. We planned our visit so we join the free tour given by the Museam. Our tour guide was Larry and he was fantastic. He was so passionate about everything he was showing us. The Air and Space museum is amazing. Where else in the world can you find the Apollo 11 space module, the Wright brothers plane, Amelia Earhart's plane, amny of teh first rockets and planes all in the same place. Our tour lasted two hours and we still hadn't seen everything there.We all had very sore feet but learnt  a lot.
We decided to do a grocery shop and caught the metro to the watergate building to go to Safeway underneath the building . I thought it was very cool how all the shops are all below street level in this part of DC. 

Our next day's excursion was to the Natural History Museum. We decided to take another tour which took us past all the dinosaurs, a giant squid and she explained all the different eras. the best part was the Hope diamond and all the different gems and jewels.

That night we were really happy to see AJ, an old friend, who came over to the hotel for a few hours to catch up.

Saturday in DC was a great day. It wa s little cold and rainy but we didn't let that stop us. We caught the metro out to Woodley Park to go to the Zoo after going to Lincoln memorial and Washington monument to take some phots. This is part of teh Smithsonian so it is another completely free activity in DC. We met AJ at the station and we walked down to the zoo to meet up with Kathy, tom and their triplets. Kathy is another mum from the USA I have been emailng with since the triplets were babies. We had a lovely time at the zoo and it great seeing how all the kids were getting along great. The zoo is a beautiful spot and the kids had a great time seeing all the animals. The highlight for the girls was definitley the Orangutan spitting food at them through the window. It was sad to say goodbye to AJ. It had been 7 years since we had seen her.

We then took the metro to  Tracey and David's house where we had a fabulous evening with them in their lovely home. Charlotte must have enjoyed the chips and salsa a little too much as she was sick on the way home in David's new BMW. I am still mortified and can only say "sorry David, agin and I hope it all comes out" Kids, who'd have them!!
I loved DC!!! The part of the city we stayed in was great, close to George Wahington University. Its definitely somewhere I would have loved to have lived in. Two thumbs up from me!!

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: