Brisbane to Airlie Beach and everything in between

Trip Start Jun 13, 2008
Trip End May 25, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Saturday, August 30, 2008

OK... so last time I wrote we were in Brisbane... Alex kept his word and took us to a rugby league match - local derby between the Brisbane Broncos and the Gold Coast Titans... we were rooting for the Broncos and at the end of the game it was a tie... so it went to a golden goal... and the bloody Broncos only went and scored a try!  It was awesome... we had brilliant seats quite close to the front too, so all the better... thank you Alex and your Dad!!!

After that we went out for a few drinks, which turned into more drinks and a fair bit of dancing... LOVED Alex's "my shoulder's moving of it's own accord" dance moves... haha... we then smuggled Alex into our hostel (which was one of the worst we've stayed in!)... When we woke up he'd gone, but it was great to meet up again :)

From Brisbane we took a bus to sunny Noosa, which is a beautiful town where the Noosa River meets the sea.  We decided that rather than rush through and go to Rainbow Beach for a night, we would stay there for three nights and do some serious relaxing... which we did :D  We played a lot of table tennis, played a few games of 'I have never' and wandered around town, walking on the beach and eating ice creams :)  

We also rented a little boat and took it out for a few hours... included in the deal were a couple of fishing reels and some bait... so we put our fishing skills to the test...  Tom managed to catch a little Breem, and we removed the hook very carefully and let him go... but I didn't put my line in again after that, because I realised that as nice an idea it was to chill on a boat and catch some fish, I actually didn't really want to catch anything at all!

The BEST part about Noosa, though, was the visit I got from Jo... my best friend from school, who I haven't seen for a few years, since she emmigrated to Toowoomba, which is quite close to Brisbane... She's a doctor there now, and had some time off, so drove to Noosa to meet up with me and Tom... which was bloody brilliant..!  We were supposed to meet up in Brisbane, but she had been called into work... but it worked out quite nicely, meeting up in Noosa, because we took some Kayaks out over the river/sea and parked up on some sand banks for a while... it was wonderful :)

After Noosa, we caught a bus to Hervey Bay, which is where we got the ferry over to Fraser Island. When we first got there we met our group - 2 British guys -  Baz and Phil, a British couple, Damian and Rachel and a Canadian guy - Caleb...  We had our "briefing" and instructions, had a couple of beers and went to bed, ready for the next day...

We met up at 7.30 and were shown a few more details about the car - Fraser Island is the biggest sand island in the world - there are only one or two sealed roads, so you need a 4x4 to get around... the 7 of us were to take a bright pink 4x4 around Fraser Island for the next 3 days and camp on the beach for two nights.

First stop on the way - supermarket - to get such essentials as pasta, bread, cheese, sauce and tuna...
Second stop on the way - bottleo - (off license) - to get such essentials as goon (very, VERY cheap boxed wine, apparently made from fish eggs and nut remains (?)), beer and some very questionable Australian vodka.

We then headed straight for the barge and crossed the sea for about 45 minutes to reach Fraser Island.  Shortly after arriving on the island I got my first go at driving... I haven't laughed so hard in aaaages... hahaha... I was hitting bumps and flying over them... not too fast, but enough to make a pretty sizable bump for those in the back... unfortunately this laid the way for the rest of the trip!!  Our first stop was Lake Wabby, where we all ran to the top of the massive sand dunes and ran as fast as we could to the water and then, in my case, performed a sensational belly flop into the lake.... it was absolutely stunning... Phil had an underwater camera, so hopefully we'll have some good snaps of that at some point! From there we headed to our first campsite to set up the tents and start cooking up a BBQ... and it's lucky we did because it turned out that we only had one hob, which made BBQing a bit difficult... but we got there in the end...  We also went on a stealth mission to the camp next door... I didn't make it myself, because me and Rachel fell over each other, but Tom, Baz and Phil did make it, and changed one wheel lock on each 4x4... that would make it really hard for them to pull out of the deeper sand the next day... and in the morning me and Tom were slightly worried about it seriously screwing up their car, or worse still, causing an accident... so I went and told two of the girls on the beach to make sure they checked their wheel locks before they left...  conscience clear...

That day we did a fair bit of driving up the beach to Indian Head, and then walked along to the Champagne Pools - smalls pools surrounded by rocks, that when the water hits the rocks, looks like champagne flowing over them - or so they say!!  We didn't see much champagne spray, but Baz and Caleb did get pushed up against some rocks when they weren't expecting it...

Making our way back down the beach we were lucky to see a wild dingo trotting along the beach next to a plane that had just landed... I couldn't get the dingo and the plane in the same picture, but did get a few of the dingo... It's so weird that they're slightly dangerous wild animals, because they just look like cuddly dogs to me!!

From there we made our way down the beach to the next campsite, stopping at a shipwreck, some coloured rocks and Eli Creek on the way...  All of which were pretty cool :)

We didn't see anyone else camping on the second night - Rachel cooked up a pasta feast for us all and we sat eating and drinking and chatting some more... 

The next day we all got up at about 5.30am to watch the sun rise over the ocean, which was absolutely stunning...  Wrapped up, sitting on a sand bank, metres away from our camp - it was fantastic.  Then we packed up the tents and everything into the car and made our way to Lake McKenzie - it was fantastic being there so early because we were the only people there... and it was spectacular.  Last time I came to Fraser Island I camped by Lake McKenzie and it hasn't changed one bit - bloody spectacular!!

We all sat in the sun for a bit there and then made our way back to the barge to return to Hervey Bay...

We spent another night in Hervey, and then hopped on an overnight bus to Airlie Beach - which is where we are now!!  We are staying at a hostel that is kind of like little beach huts, which is really cool... and tomorrow we're off on our cruise around the Whitsundays - we booked a 3 day 2 night tour, that was a bit budget, but it was under-booked, so they have upgraded us to a 3 day 3 night tour on the biggest sailing boat around the Whitsundays - and it goes much further out, to the outer reef, AND it has diving gear, which means that if I can convince them that I have a dive qualification (because the damn French Scuba Association refure to reply to my e-mails asking for a copy of my certificate) I can go for a dive off the boat - HOORAH!

We sent a postcard, but just in case it doesn't make it to Melbourne - HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR TOMORROW JAN!!

Also - absolutely MASSIVE thank you to my mate Lee Neville... I set up that 'donate to my travels' thing with this blog, but honestly didn't think anyone would actually use it... Thank you so much for your amazing donation matey - it'll keep me in instant noodles for a bit longer, for sure!!! Lots of love to  yooooooou!! :) x x x

Anyway - that's enough from me I think... as always, there are LOADS more photos on flickr - so check these two links...
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


kallendar on

Lovely read Zo. Fraser Island looks wicked. I just saw a programme about Dingos which was very interesting so it was cool that you saw one.

They can actually be domesticated and live life like a 'dog'. They learn to treat other humans as pack members but they don't like petting and smoothing.

Hope you ontinue to have a fantastic time.


kallendar on

Your pics are brilliant Zo.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: