White wash building, markets, and stuffy nose

Trip Start Jan 22, 2006
Trip End Jun 23, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Colombia  ,
Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Ryan woke up bright and early, after only getting home 30 minutes earlier, to take me to the bus terminal. I felt so bad when the bus company we called, and found out had a bus at 5:30, didn't. So he sat there with me for over an hour waiting for the another bus. Finally I was loaded onto the bus and headed south. The first bus was nice, I had plenty of space and was able to sleep a bit. The view out the window was amazing. The road wound it's way through the Colombian Andies and I just stared out the window and the scenery. However, with all that winding I did get a bit queezey. I was happy to get to Cali where we changed busses and headed out on a straighter road. Until the bus started filling up, and filling up, and filling up! I wasn't paying attention and ended up getting stuck against the window with my knees up under my chin. These buses are not built for people over 55". Finally at one of the stops I asked the girl next to me to change and she was happy to. I guess you could tell I was in pain. That was much better... for a while. Then the bus started filling up again. I eventually was able to change into the middle back seat, which meant I could stretch out my legs. However, as the bus filled up kids were sitting everywhere... and I had a nine year only little boy standing in front of me looking at my lap. So I just told him to sit. He was so happy to not have to stand. So there I am on a bus with about 45 other Colombians and a nine year old on my lap. I just had to laugh. So did the lady next to me, who struck up a conversation and turned out to be very helpful in not getting ripped of by a cab in Popayan. So I made it to my Hostel and headed out for some great pizza. When I returned there were three Isralis in my room. But I was too tired after the long day of traveling to talk, so I went to bed.

The next day was spent walking around with Tammy (one of the Isralis). We had a great time. We viewed a fashion show at the local market. I wanted to get a Colombia shirt, but all of the ones they showed us were for little kids. But the people in the market just wanted to keep us there to talk, so they sat us down while they went to get more and more of the same shirts. It was too funny. I felt bad that I didn't like any of them, they tried so hard. As we walked around we had many people tell us that it was unsafe to walk around with our bags. That people would try and take them. We were a bit scared, however, I had never felt so safe. The town had a very tranqilo feel to it and I didn't understand why there were so many warnings. We did however watch our stuff a bit closer. As we walked through the main square we met a guy who had created a bike that was a bit of art. He told us it resembled all of Colombia's struggles. Each Piece of the bike had a different meaning. It was pretty interesting. He then decided that he would become our unofficial city guide. As he walked with us he showed us pictures of the earthquake from the 80's. He told us he was a photographer and showed us other more "arty" pictures of himself. That was when he became weird and Tammy and I were done talking to him. She evenutally had to just tell him to leave cause we were going to have lunch. I then spent the rest of the afternoon talking to my sister on the phone and working on the internet. Then at 7 we headed over to the Theater for the first night of the Motzart festival. The music was really nice and it was a nice relaxing evening. However, my throat started to get a bit scratchy during the performance, but I didn't think anything of it. Asi, Danella and Asam (the other Isralis in my room) along with Tammy and I headed to the pizza place again for dinner. It was a very fun evening and I practiced my Hebrew.

The next morning I felt like death had come in and jumped on my head. My whole body hurt, my throat was super sore and my nose was totally congested. I was staying in bed while everyone else headed off to this near by market town, for the big Tuesday market I had told them about. I was a bit sad, but I was in too much pain to care too much. I slept most of the morning and the lady who ran the hostel even brought me bread and juice in bed. When everyone returned around 2, my fever had broken. I felt a lot better but was still really weak. I had just enough energy to get up and have lunch with Tammy and Asi. It turned out the market was not that great. Which made me fee bad since I had talked them all into going, but was then too sick to go myself. After which I needed nap and slept for 5 more hours. By the time I had enough energy again to try and call my mom and tell her how sick I am, the internet cafe was closed. Tammy and Asi prepared me a great dinner, after which I was so exhausted I headed back to bed.

I had much more strength the next day and decided I had enough spent enough time in Popayan and headed south to Ipiales.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: