Colonial city of Granada.

Trip Start Jan 22, 2006
Trip End Jun 23, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Nicaragua  ,
Friday, March 31, 2006

After a week in luxury, Ben, Bex and I jumped on a chicken bus headed south. There were no seats left so we had to sit on our bags in the back of the bus for the two hour journey. Once there we walked to our hostel and relaxed a bit before checking out the town. We headed to the Parque Central and just loved the atmosphere. The park has a lot of trees and a very Colonial feel. The buildings all have big pillars and great colors. We even stopped into a theatrical performance, but just caught the end. I ended up falling asleep while reading in one of the many hammocks at the hostel.

The next morning I woke up a bit early and headed out on a run. This is one of the first cities, in a long time, that I have felt comfortable enough in to go on a run alone. I ran over to Lake Nicaragua (one of the largest lakes in the world) and back. It was only about 20 minutes, but I was dying... we will blame it on the heat. Later in the afternoon, I walked down to the lake to meet Ben and Bex at the lake, when a guy started talking to me. He started out by saying that he saw me running in the morning and tried to say hi, but I just ignored him and kept running. He then walked and talked with me all the way down to the lake. He told me that he use to teach Spanish to tourists and that there weren't many around right now so he hasn't worked in three days. He spoke good English to me and wanted me to speak to him in Spanish. It was pretty fun. He offered to give me a tour of the lake for a bit of money, but I didn't want one cause I saw Ben and Bex... so I gave him some money anyway, just cause he was a nice guy and I enjoyed his company. The three of us then walked around a bit before we saw the rare, almost extinct, beach cows. Their owner was just taking them for a walk along the beach to graze. This was the most exciting thing we did all day. The rest of the day was spent in a hammock reading our books... Bex and I were almost done!

Up early to climb so more volcanos! Ben and I headed out with a french couple and Jesper (Sweeden) to climb Volcano Masaya. It would have been a nice easy hike, if it hadn't been about 95 degrees and on a paved road. Ouch, HOT!!! The view from the top was nice and the crater that was left when it blew the last time, what huge! We then walked around the top of the other crater (same volcano). It was a bit scary every now and then, mostly when the wind would pick up and you felt like you were about to get blown into the crater. After hiking forever around it, we headed into the depths of the Earth for a cave tour. It was a cave formed by gases from the lava that had flowed under ground. It was pretty cool... but still hot. :) Ben and I just thought we were funny because we were the only ones who wore our helmets on the walk down to the cave... but after a while, I was too tired and hot to think much of anything was funny. Once back at the Hostel I took a much needed nap before going with Bex and Maria (Sweedish girl).

The next day Maria and I climbed up a church bell tower to see the view of the city before going with Ben, Bex, Carlos (Sweedish) and Bob (Philly guy) on a boat trip around the Islands near Granada. Which was pretty much a tour showing big cool houses owned by people who can afford their own Island. That is all but two of them... the other two were where the fortress that protects Granada from Pirates (the lake is connected to the Carribean Sea and they use to travel all the way up it) and Monkey Island. The fortress wasn't that exciting, so we pretended to be on the look out for pirate, which helped a bit, but not much. Monkey Island (where, according to Bex naughty monkeys are put) was great. There are four monkeys on it and they were really fun to watch. We even had some mango to feed to them, which they went crazy for. The baby monkey was every ones favorite, of course. Once the boat ride was finally over (which made Ben happy... he was not happy about going), we had a bit of time before eating the really good pizza from the night before and going to a orchestra concert put on in a church. The music was great!

However, the next morning I was time for me to head out again... Maria and I are headed to the Beach!!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: