Wrong turn and landing on the SUN!

Trip Start Jan 22, 2006
Trip End Jun 23, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Honduras  ,
Sunday, March 19, 2006

Ben, Bex and I were up in plenty of time to catch the 6:30 ferry back the main land of Honduras. We even had enough time to stop at the bakery to get some snacks for the journey ahead of us. But then as I walked out of the bakery I saw a guy with a big package running toward the dock. So I started walking faster and saw a lady waving franticly at me. So I yelled back to Ben and Bex, who were still in the bakery, to hurry up. We ran up to the boat and early made it... apparently the boat left at 6:20. Oops, good thing they were running on "Honduras time", everything is slower. Once on the mainland we had time for breakfast before heading off across the country to the capital on a 7 hour bus ride. The first two hours were the worst, even though it was a new nicer bus, it was so hot. Finally after almost passing out from the heat, the driver decided to turn the air conditioner on! The rest of the trip flew by!

Once in Tegucigalpa, we quickly got a cab and headed to the other bus station that would take us down to a town near the boarder called Choluteca. During this bus ride I was able to look out the window up at all the stars and I got to thinking... which is always scary. Anyway, I noticed that I haven't been as homesick as I thought I would be. It made me think about the wonderful support I have from my family and friends. You all out there are amazing and with your help I am able to travel out here by my self. I got teary eyed thinking about the incredible people I have in my life and I want to thank all of you! THANK YOU!!!

Anyway, we found a room pretty quick once in Choluteca, which was good since we had been traveling for 14 hours at that point. But we were sad to find out that our room was on the SUN!!! It was the most incredibly hot room any of us had been in. Never once in the night did it cool down and we had the windows open and all the fans on. It was killer! We were happy to get out of there to catch our 9 am bus to the board. This bus too was super hot, but it cooled off once the door fell off and we were able to get more circulation. Yeah, can you believe it? I was just getting comfortable when I hear this loud crashing sound and the driver slamming on the breaks. I thought we had gotten in a wreck, before I looked out the window to see the driver and the money taker carrying the front door of the bus back to the bus. Too Funny!

At the boarder we were attacked by people getting in our faces wanting to change our money and give us rides in their to the other side. After what seemed like forever (we are slow at figuring things out) we hopped in the and were on our way. So here is the seen: Bex and I are in one , along with my big bag, Ben and their bags in the other and it is seriously about 90 degrees. The poor little driver was sweating like mad and I still can't figure out how his little legs peddled us all the way to the other side. But first before getting to the other side we had to get stamped out of Honduras and into Nicaragua. Bex and I did all the paper work while Ben watched our bags... even though I had our drivers official badge, he wasn't going anywhere. Sadly though Ben got stung by a bee while watching the stuff. we were worried for a while, but then his tongue didn't swell up, so we were on our way.

We then jumped on our first bus in Nicaragua, which gave us the true understanding of what a Chicken Bus really is... the guy next to Ben had a live chicken on his lap! I had much better company which was a really cute little girl and her mom. I shared my water and cookie with the little girl, the mom was super sweet too and asked me simple questions like where am I from... we had a nice conversation until it was time for her to get off in her town (I understood that even before she got off the bus... I talk good). The first bus took us to Chinandega where we were quickly ushered onto the bus heading to Leon. In the back of the bus there were two little kids who helped with our bags expecting to get a tip. They were talking to Ben about it, who showed them his wallet with no money. But they saw a Canadian $20 bill that he had found in the ocean on one of his dives. He thought what the heck, and gave it too them. They were so excited and later after thinking about it, only to realize later that he gave them about $17 US Dollars... which is more money than they have probably ever seen in their lives. He probably just fed their families for a month. We decided that he was boosting our karma points.

We made it to Leon without any further adventures and checked into a hostel that had 14 beds lined up along the walls... we felt like little Orphan Annie... but at least it was clean, and had a nice shower! It really didn't matter much, all we wanted was a cold beer... which we got, actually it was frozen!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: