Never trust a fart in Peru!!!

Trip Start Oct 02, 2009
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Peru  , Cusco,
Tuesday, November 17, 2009

After spending a few hours around Nasca we boarded our bus at approximately 12 at night. With an expected journey time of 14 hours we had hoped to arrive in Cusco at 2pm, how wrong we were!!! Having stopped for breakfast at 8am we expected to be on our way in 30min's, we left 9 hours later. There was a demonstration going on in the next town and the bus driver thought it would be a great idea to stop in a town with no pub, no Internet, no cold drinks in fact with nothing at all except a few Peig shops and a restaurant that would make Faulty Towers look like a 5 star hotel....... in fairness though they did accept fake money at the third time of trying. By the time we arrived in Cusco the boys were very tired and aggressive, especially Briansy Sull which we couldn't understand as he had got a good nights sleep 2 nights before!

After a good nights sleep we were all riled up for the Irish second leg against France. We had been warned by Ger to be down at the Irish bar (highest owned Irish bar in the world) as early as possible so as to have a good seat, needless to say we were first in the bar and got the perfect seats all thanks to Ger!!! The bar was wedged for kick off with mostly Irish supporters and a scattering of French. We were never as out of breath before in our lives as when Keano grabbed the goal and learned shouting and singing does not go well with altitude. Needless to say when the game entered extra time peoples bitten off nails were beginning to cover the floor. When the hand of frog gifted France the goal there was complete uproar in the bar and when the French applauded it they were told to find there own pub in somewhat colourful language. All in all though it was a great display by both the Irish boys in France.....and in Cusco.
Often referred to as "The Lost City of the Incas", Machu Picchu is one of the most familiar symbols of the Inca Empire. Since it was not plundered by the Spanish when they conquered
the Incas, it is especially important as a cultural site and is considered a sacred place. Over the centuries, the surrounding jungle grew over much of the site, and few knew of its existence until it was discovered by Hiram Bingham in 1911.

Trekkers normally take three or four days to complete the "Classic Inca Trail" but due to time constraints and us being especially lazy we opted for the bus and train ride to the base town of Aguas Calientes. On Friday we headed for Machu Picchu starting with the bus journey which consisted of at least an hour on a cliff edge with room for just one vehicle, a couple of scary moments were endured as a couple of landslides had occurred during the night which made the road even narrower. We then caught the train for an hour ride to the base town of Aguas Calientes. At four the next morning we set off on the GRUELING 90 minute climb to the entrance. We got an english guided tour of the ruins which explained to us the history of the Incas. The setting itself is pretty amazing thinking how the Incas managed to build this so high up in the mountains.An interesting bit of information we did learn was that the silhouette of the mountain range behind Machu Picchu represents the face of the Inca looking upward towards the sky, this is seen when turning the famous Macchu Pittchu image on its side. After the tour guide Pa and Steve decided to trek up WaynaPicchu. This was a tough 45 minute climb and when they finally reached the top soaked wet from the downpour which started halfway up they could see ABSOLUTELY nothing due to the fog. Well worth the effort. Apparently on a clear day the view is amazing, which was of little consolation to the two boys. When the boys arrived down it had really started to come down however we figured since we were wet already we might as-well walk all the way back down to the base town..........we were the only ones not to avail of the bus service.

We got the train back down and then boarded the bus for the cliff journey once more. We noticed that the first journey on the bus must have scared half the people into getting a different mode of transport as the bus was half empty this time. The bus journey on the way back was a lot more comfortable. When we arrived back in Cusco we were well tired so headed straight for some badly needed kip.

On our last night in Cusco we decided to hit the town where the South Kerry board got a good lashing for the treatment of Reenard in the South Kerry Championship in Mama Africa's while Steve caught up on a bit of sleep in the nightclub after laying the gauntlet down to Pa, by the end of the night Brian was in foul form at Pa who through stubbornness, yet again, would not get into the taxi. When the boys got home at 5 in the morning they kept Carly the American roommate entertained with tirades of abuse at each other and then at her. We wonder did she ever make the trek at 7 that morning.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Kevin Keane on

Lads just to let ye know that yere search for Jack Murphy should revert to its home town of Caherciveen!! C'mon the Mary's!!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: