Sailing on a Felucca to Kom Ombo

Trip Start Jul 28, 2009
Trip End Aug 10, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Felucca sailboat

Flag of Egypt  , Aswān,
Saturday, February 27, 2010

After returning from Abu Simbel, we were absolutely starving, so we asked the driver to drop us at McDonald's.  I can't believe we ate at McDonald's, but the burger had never tasted so good.  We sat outside and watched the children bathing in the Nile river.

We headed to the hotel to wait for our ride to the Felucca.  We were picked up by two Nubian guys, one which turned out to be the captain of the boat, named Eman.

For the last couple of days, the sky had been foggy and hazy and we were glad to see that the day was much better as it was starting to clear up.  We headed out in the boat and it was amazing to see them hoisting the sails.

Eman and his assistant cooked us a really good dinner and then we headed to shore to have a big bonfire.  Nik of course, couldn’t wait to light the fire.  It was a bit cold so it felt nice with the warm fire. They set up the boat and covered the sides with fabric to keep the breeze and bugs out. It was nice and cozy. Can't say that we had such a great party crew as everyone was more into going to bed. Nik and I was the last ones to bed along with Eman and his assistant.

In the middle of the night, I woke up and felt nauseous. I finally got up and went to the front of the boat but realized that they had taking off ladder so I had to jump to get to shore. Of course, being half asleep, I missed and landed in the water.  It was only a couple of feet later that I
puked and soon after wards came the diarrhea.  I figured it was that good tasting hamburger I had at McDonald's.  Just my luck that the day I decide to eat fast food, I get sick.  I'm sticking to eating at the street stands! 

The next morning, they made us an interesting breakfast. They fried and egg inside a pita bread. Of course being sick, I couldn’t eat that! I had one piece of bread. I was afraid of getting sick again.  The two couples on the boat left and we continued on with the boring Austrian guy. I have never met a traveler that was so quiet and boring. He never smiled and the guys on the boat always said his name, "Valentino" and would laugh so hard. We later found out that the word "Valentino" is a slang word in Egypt meaning a drunk thugging womanizer!  So thats why they were laughing.

The second day was the best on the boat, we really had a good day of sailing.  As we were really tilting the boat, we passed a Felucca that had capsized and sunk and only the mast was sticking out.  We were hoping this wouldn't happen to us!

Sadly, the next day it was time to leave.  We could definitely have stayed longer on the boat as we really enjoyed it and there was no touts to be found here!


We went on a Felucca boat ride and stayed over night.  I think I made the biggest fire I have ever made and there was so much dead wood along the Nile.   I kept it going for at least 3 hours because it was cold that night.  I loved the dinner, it was great.  Because we had so much fun, we decided to stay another night. 

The next day, we had some good wind and was sailing fast down the Nile.  But the second night, we didn’t have a fire, and I was a bit disappointed.  The mosquitos were biting me all night and I heard them all night bzzzzz in my ear!

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: