Stranded on Robinson Crusoe Island in Fiji

Trip Start Jul 28, 2009
Trip End Aug 10, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Fiji  , Western,
Monday, October 26, 2009

BULA (hello in Fijian)….
Its only 7am as I’m sitting on the beach in a hammock for the past 1/2 hour watching the sun rise.  Its unusual that I can't sleep but you can't get more perfect than this!  Its so nice and quiet and perfect for catching up on my writing!  After leaving Las Vegas, we caught a 10 hour flight to Fiji and we crossed the international date line so we forever lost Sunday October 25th!  Since we are not flying back in that direction, we will never get that lost day back! 

We left on Saturday night and arrived Monday morning in Fiji, even though it only took us 10 hours to fly!  talk about confusing!  the plane was a 747 double decker. The biggest I have ever been on.  We were lucky that the flight was not full as we were able to grab some empty seats and lay down to sleep.  However, I was more tired on this trip that the 46 hours from Argentina!

I’m so glad that we stopped in Fiji before heading to NZ to break up the long journey!  And what better place to stop at than on Robinson Crusoe Island!  Nik has been in his element, playing on the beach, snorkeling, playing volleyball!  He is loving this!  I have not seen Nikolas this happy since we were snowboarding in Argentina!  He said he could have easily skipped Vegas and spent more time here!  Amazing that spending no money is more fun than going to some expensive Las Vegas shows!

There is a great group of travelers here, they really like to party!  Most of them are from the UK, but there is a couple from Belgium and Australia too!  The first night, after dinner, we played Island games.  We had so much fun playing these games until Nik got crushed by 5 big guys!  That ended our night early as Nik was in a lot of pain!  But the next day he said he wanted to play those games again! Go figure!

The Fijians are very humble and soft spoken people, they are always smiling and always laughing.  Watching the men perform their dances was not a bad sight!  They are very muscular and their chocolate brown skin glistening with coconut oil......

The first night, they had a welcome ceremony with Kava, which is a root that they grind to a powder and add water.  It tasted horrible and it makes your mouth go numb!  During the ceremony, one of the islanders come over to give you a cup made from out of a coconut shell.  You then yell “Bula“!  And you down the entire cup, no sipping or tasting, but gulp it down!  Then you yell “madda” (which means empty) and give the cup back.  Both Nik and I tried it twice!   We are staying in Bures, which are huts!  They have the back to basic “bucket” showers and its cold….bbbbbrrrrrrhhhhh!  Couldn’t get Nik to take a shower until we got to NZ…..

This is just what I needed before heading to action packed NZ.  I cant believe that I have not planned anything....I’m definitely getting more relaxed in traveling and not making plans!  It actually feels pretty liberating not to have anything planned!

I think I got so relaxed on the island because I realized half way to the main island (a 40 minute ride) that I had forgotten our passports!  I had hid them under the mattress, so much for hiding them, I ended up hiding them from myself!!!  Luckily, they had a radio and our passports were delivered by boat!  Im so glad that I realized about the passports before we had gotten to the airport 2 hours away.  Nik would have loved to stay longer and he almost got his wish.....

I’m surprised that I have not been homesick yet!  I’m loving the traveling and meeting so many interesting people.  Nikolas is doing great and I’m glad that he is constantly being told by other travelers how lucky he is to be able to travel like this! 


When we finally arrived in  Fiji, we had to wait  for five hours  until we got  to Robinson Crusoe Island.  The people were very  happy and nice. We tried this drink called Kava and it tasted like poo and I hated it.

Then we played volleyball.   It was a lot of fun.   I got hit in my privates with the volleyball.  Yeah, laugh as hard as you can!  It wasn’t funny at the time.
At night, they had Island games which was also a lot of fun until  I got crushed by five guys.  They were heavy and they really hurt my leg. The last day I hated because we were leaving, I wished we could stay longer and it felt like home. 

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: