Trip Start Jul 27, 2004
Trip End Dec 13, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Banana Republic

Flag of Honduras  ,
Sunday, November 21, 2004

Just spent a fabulous 9 days in Honduras. After crossing into Honduras (from El Salvador)we caught a bus up to San Pedro Sula, the 2nd largest city in Honduras, near the Carribean Sea coastline. As we arrived late (11pm) we caught a taxi straight to Hotel Rosa and crashed. The next day we had a look at the pretty square in the centre of the city and had yummy Chicken and Avocado Baleadas (a kind of burrito) for breakfast they were only 10 lempiras each (34 lempiras to a pound) so a nice tasty cheap start to the day. Whilst having our breakfast we noticed a black VW beetle police car which we thought was quite cool - don't get many of those in England!! We then headed to the bus station to find a bus to take us to La Ceiba (a port town where we could catch a ferry to Roatan in the Bay Isalnds). We caught the bus and arrived in La Ceiba 3 hours later. The ferry ride was 220 lempiras (a lot cheaper than the ferry across the channel to France) and we saw a beautiful sunset on the way to the Island. When we arrived on Roatan we were bombarded with taxi men trying to get us to take their taxi for anywhere between 150 and 250 lempiras, we ignored all of them and got a ride each for 20 lempiras to West End. As we arrived in West End there was a bar offering free drinks to ladies until 7 so we quickly found somewhere to stay (a place called Chillies where we had our own cabin and shared our bathroom and kitchenette with one other room) and headed into Sundowners (bar). I had Vodka and Cranberry (and this reminded me of my girl friends back home as that's what we usually drink, so here's to you girls!!) for free and Paul had to pay for his!! We got chatting to a few people and were recommended to eat in the rotisserie chicken place - very nice chicken!! The next day we walked along the beach and scrambled over a few rocks to get to West Bay (too expensive for us to stay in but nice to visit). The water was crystal clear and bluey, green and the sand was white, soft and powdery. Paul had bought some fishing line and a few hooks when we were in El Salvador so he had brought the line with him to see if he could catch some fish for tea. I swam around in the water whilst Paul set himself up on the jetty. He just had some bread for bait but still managed to catch a couple of fish that belonged to the Jack Family. Later on that evening I gutted them (something I had never done before) and make a tasty cocunout milk, rice and fish dish for tea. On Monday we decided to enquire about diving and ended up at Coconut Tree Dive School where the owners PJ and Gay were really friendly. Paul took a Discovery Scuba Dive course and I took a refresher course so that I was familiar with the equipment and basic skills again. We went out for a dive in the afternoon and saw a turtle which was fab (as I'd never seen one before) and I was really enthusiastic about diving again, so much so that I signed up for the night dive. By the time I was ready to go out on the night dive, Paul had decided that he was going to do his PADI course. Unfortunately, I panicked when I was in the water on the night dive and ended up back on the boat. I felt so stupid for panicking but I was determined to go out the next day. After a few beers with our fellow divers and some hummous pitta bread we called it a night. As our week in Roatan went on, Paul and I did more diving (I was doing fun dives and Paul passed his PADI course) and saw some fantastic things in the water - Turtles, Frog Fish (which are really ugly but unusual), Barracudas, beautiful coral etc. We also made friends with people we went diving with and I even got offered a job in a bar. We were quite sad to leave on Friday morning but hopped on the ferry back to La Ceiba and found a really nice hostel to stay in called Banana Republic. We even had hot water (a luxury!!) and the dorms were really luxurious and only $5 each. After a night in La Ceiba, with a walk up the pier that had train tracks on it from when United Fruit used to transport bananas directly onto the boats, we headed to the capital city, Tegus for short. Tegus seemed like a fun city to be in and we enjoyed looking at the sights - churches, markets and statues. Today we are heading for the border to go to Nicaragua - la tierra de lagunas y de volcanes.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: