Galle Fort

Trip Start Feb 18, 2008
Trip End Feb 29, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Beatrice House, Galle Fort

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Wednesday, February 27, 2008

We stopped one night in Galle Fort. It is one of these places which should be completely irresistible, after all it's a World Heritage Site, the ramparts are complete, and the army is still in residence, in a very small corner. There are two luxury hotels and several interesting restaurants. The fort is full of old Dutch buildings but most look as if they haven't been maintained since the Dutch left. There are antique shops; the one we looked at was selling prints of British Kings and Queens at enormous prices and they were all from the National Portrait Gallery in London. It was one of these places where you felt you would find a small treasure in every corner but actually was full of junk. There was even a pottery whisky jar from a brand I hadn't heard of - we found the same jar a couple of weeks later - for sale full of whisky in a supermarket.

I thought I had my set of coins for Sri Lanka sorted when approached by a street salesman but found his price of $30 just a little steep and suspicious when he dropped it to $20. A closer look soon explained why. He was selling a set of old coins, one at least, seventeenth century and in remarkable condition. We said no and were approached by another salesman selling the same set not ten minutes later. Our hotel's manager told us it's the favourite local scam and the coins are minted in Korea or some such place.

We did think we'd found somewhere nice for dinner but when we turned up at the agreed hour we were told we were too late they'd already eaten. By that time it was raining so we headed back to the place we had passed on our way from the hotel and they were delighted to serve us, on the roof. We declined due to the large puddles and ongoing thunderstorm. We asked if we could eat inside but decided that wasn't such a good idea when we realised the table was beside the family television. Only answer, we decided, was to head back to or hotel but by this time it was eight thirty. As expected, they had stopped serving but no problem, we could still eat. They offered us rice and curry which we accepted and when it arrived cold we were faced with two choices and we were both starving, it was not good. Next morning we wished we had starved, it was the most expensive rice and curry we saw in our whole time in Sri Lanka. He was such a lovely little man too, he even looked after our bags while the room was cleaned and made a great fuss over security. When I mentioned before we left that the lock on the second door into the bedroom fell off when I closed the door he told me he knew it was broken but hadn't had time to fit new screws.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: