Post-trip entry

Trip Start May 18, 2008
Trip End Jul 23, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Wisconsin
Thursday, July 24, 2008

Hey guys,
As you might have guessed from the title of this entry, we are indeed done with our trip. Sr. Olson is back in Rice Lake with his family, and I sit here alone, writing this in is a sad day. There isn't much to say since we only had a few days since our last blog, but I'll try to bring everyone up to speed.

We had a few more days on Bocas del Toro, which we took full advantage of. We went to a few more sweet beaches and enjoyed the night life as best we could. On Monday we got up at 5:30, said good bye to our friends from across the pond, and caught the first water taxi off the island. We then endured the ten hour bus ride to Panama City. We got into the city around 6 and got set up in a new hostel. We laid low that night, relaxing, playing ping pong, and even some a game of uno. The next day we got up early and went to see the canal. It was pretty awesome. There was a 4 story museum that had info on the history and all the statistics about the canal, and on the top floor was a lookout where you could watch ships going through the locks. It was nice to see something different after so many ancient ruins and natural wonders. We stayed there for about three hours then went souvenir shopping near downtown. After exploring a bit more downtown, we went back to our hostel and got packed up. Our flight was slated to leave at 2 am, so we had some time, but we wanted to go early so we could catch a bus there before they stopped running. We left at 6:30 and walked to the bus stop. We still aren't sure what was going on, but for some reason, every bus that came by that was going to the airport waved us off, and wouldn't even slow down. By 8 we decided we would give it up and pay the 23 dollars it would cost for a taxi to take us there. We 6 hours until our flight left, so we played some poker and picked up a last couple souvenirs. After a three hour flight, we landed in Ft. Lauderdale at 5;30 local time. I ran into some trouble at the security checkpoint here trying to bring some duty free liquor home. Apparently flights from panama don't care if you bring booze on the plane, but that stuff doesn't fly in the states, so I was forced to pay 25 dollars to check the liquor as an extra bag. After this, we caught some z's and finally took our last flight home at 11:00. We landed in Chicago at 1, and were fortunate enough to have Sr. Olson's friend Kelly pick us up from the airport. We then met Olson's parents in Madison and drove north for another 2 hours. We then went our separate ways, he home with his parents, and I to Marshfield with Olson's brother.

I guess that's it. The trip's over. Back to the real world. I hope you enjoyed reading these blogs as much as we enjoyed writing them, and thanks again for all the comments. Adios
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: