Mi Despedida

Trip Start Jul 12, 2011
Trip End Dec 19, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Argentina  , Capital Federal District,
Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Nearly two months have passed since this event and the Iguaz˙ entry (see next post) have occurred, but my blog on ISEDET would by no means be finished without mentioning my despedida and trip to Iguaz˙. Here's a recap.

What do you do when you will be leaving the next day for one of the new 7 wonders of the world and will, possibly, never see your friends again? People who have, literally, fed you, taken care of you, listened to your broken Spanish, and given you a place to sleep (along with clean sheets and foot powder to freshen your feet when you wake up) for the past 6 months?

You throw a party of course. : )

So we threw a party, with a few kilos of asado, in the garden at ISEDET and hung out until late. Frederico and Jonatan even brought out a guitar, so I got the chance to play a few Jon Foreman and Bob Dylan songs for everybody, after which I discovered that my song repertoire had clearly been exhausted. Thankfully, Frederico and Jonatan's repertoire lasted the rest of the night. Nacho got to share a Korean song with us acapella. It was fantastic.

I hate goodbyes like this. I never have enough time to tell people how much their kindness and friendship has meant to me. We have changed each other's lives, and we know it. It's difficult to say much of anything at all when you have to tell friends like this goodbye -- especially when you know that they have no ability to visit you in your country due to current immigration and visa laws.

But at least the steak (i.e. the asado) was good, as was the company. NahÝr and the others, once again, showed their warm hospitality to me by throwing down a mattress in the study room and giving me some clean bedsheets to use. After the despedida (i.e. the goodbye party), I went to bed and set my alarm early to get up and catch the bus back out to Vicente Lopez in time to (A) wash my clothes, (B) travel back to campus to turn in a final paper, and then (C) catch the bus from Retiro station to Iguaz˙.

I woke up to my phone's alarm, and groggily headed out to catch the bus. Getting back to Vicente Lopez took about an hour and a half again (it's all the way across the city and to the north, just outside the city limits in a neighboring province).

When I arrived at the apartment, one of the two washing machines was broken, and the other had just been started by another resident. Fantastic - no clean clothes for the Iguaz˙ trip.

I don't remember if I caught a cab to get to campus, but I managed to throw all of my necessities and paperwork for the hostel bunk I'd rented at Iguaz˙ in my backpack and get to campus somehow. When I arrived I had to find Mariana downstairs and sign for the final paper. I then ran out of the school's front door at around 3:20 praying that my omnibus would leave late. I ran to Ave. Rivadavia and caught the first cab that came, telling the manejero to get to the omnibus terminal as quick as he could.

Then we hit traffic. So much for that bus.

I think I got to Retiro station around 4pm, maybe 4:30. The next bus to Iguaz˙ wasn't leaving until 8pm or something, and I had to buy another ticket. Luckily, the lady at the window was nice, so she gave me a 30% discount on the new ticket I had to buy. It still cost me around $100 bucks or something though. Ouch. I waited in the terminal for 4 hours (quite awful after a night of goodbye party followed by almost no sleep), then hopped on the bus, and crashed.

But they had NICE seats on that bus : )

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: