Trip Start Feb 28, 2012
40Trip End Nov 22, 2012
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
So a summary is needed me thinks, well, 'amazing' and 'perfect' are words that spring straight to my mind straight away, it's been awesome and I wouldn't have changed anything, SE Asia is a great place, easy to travel, friendly, cheap and as my mum would say 'quirky' ... All the things that initially struck me as odd, strange or different now seem to just blend in to a normal day... Oddity has become normality and I now know what it's like to be Jamie...!! Sorry dude, had to use your name for that one!!
## had to add here some stats from the blog website:
Travelled : 5 countries (it says 30 citites but thats just the mapped ones on here but reckon its around 100)
Posted : 39 entries
Uploaded: 1206 pictures
Visits: 1308 visits by you guys!!! wow!! :)
Comments: over 70!! (and to add a mention to Jimbo for his comment, sorry my man, i didnt see it until now, great to get that even now! see you at the wedding!)... Thanks to everyone for all their comments, i couldn't always reply to them because you cant on the iphone but i loved everyone of them so big thanks....
So some loves and hates to finish up on....
• Sitting and watching huge dragon flies float around you on a scorching hot day
• Finding toads in your shoes when you leave them outside ( the shoes that is - not leaving your toads outside and finding them in a pair of shoes)
• seeing beautiful skies and sunsets but never getting used to them
• Blue skies above but watching amazing lightening and thunderstorms in the distance...
• Without doubt using the best Thai word ...'krap' - I already blogged about this but still love replying to someone by just saying 'krap'!
• Wet season rain as random and ferocious beyond what you can imagine..
• Seeing geckos, cockroaches and any kind of bug in my room and simply turning out the light and sleeping like a dream as if they weren't even there... They're like family, especially the geckos who I always call Gordon.
• Thunderstorms thunder that makes you think the worlds about to end!!
• Smiles; whether it's everyday people, an ancient looking local or a hard nosed looking soldier... If you smile at them you get the most amazing smile back... Every time.
• Seeing snakes and being so calm its untrue; one time standing on one, one time one panicking and flying straight past and thru friend Z's legs and on ko Chang seeing one about 2 metres long on road and just pulling up feet away just to have a look.
• No road rage; it doesn't exist!!
• Ambulances; in traffic and there's an ambulance behind trying to get through, sirens blazing; what happens?? Zip. Must be the Buddhist thing that what will be will be because no one batters an eyelid!! (this is kind of a hate btw, not a love!)
• Thai language, yes 2nd appearance here, example; in a cafe just me and the girl serving is watching YouTube outakes and laughing so I watch and they are the painful outtake types like falling off a bike or off a boat and so every time there is a painful moment I say 'ow!' and she says 'Mai ow'... I realise 'ow' means ''want' and 'Mai ow' is don't want... So everytime someone gets polaxed I am saying I want that to happen to me?! And she is saying she doesn't but doesn't get the English version of the word... Maybe you had to be there?!?
• hot weather (dreading the uk freeze!!)
• Asian fashion... Womens Thai fashion is very much 60's London!! Vietnamese is very traditional with the straw hats, Cambodian women wear pyjamas!! And Laos, well, they do chilled no one cares about fashion.. You see farangs walking round with all the pure cotton handmade baggy hippy gear but I've never seen a single Asian wearing that gear....
• hate; now although my tolerance of Americans has improved there's still a French fry on my shoulder and in Asia the Chinese are the Americans of the east... My trip to china is gonna be interesting next year....
• roads and driving; love it here!! Seems crazy but there's method in the madness and I fit in to that method (or madness) well... Cambodian and Laos roads look the most challenging but can't wait to buy that motorbike in 7 weeks time... First stop Halong Bay Vietnam... Google that bad boy!!
• Asian toilets; the amount if trees we could save if the world had Asian toilets ;)
• not having family and friends with me
• And what better to finish on than something i completely forget to tell you all about, summing up this whole trip; sat in chiang rai airport which makes Leeds Bradford look like heathrow and sat at the gate waiting to board I look to my side and look straight at Sven goran Ericsson looking at me and he says 'hello' and smiles at me....?!? Dumbstruck I say hi and then he boards the plane... As I get on and pass him i say I wasn't sure it was him and didn't expect to see him in chiang Rai (you know, like I expect to see him elsewhere?!) so he asked where I'm from, I say The North, he says it always rains there, I laugh and agree and then wish him a nice flight, pat him on the shoulder and go and sit down..
Roll on next years flip flop travels part II...