To Tame a Beast

Trip Start Dec 03, 2012
Trip End Jan 09, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Casa Merinda

Flag of Philippines  , Central Visayas,
Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Fastcraft to Siquijor
What a terrible morning in the dunny...Made a beeline to the pharmacy and bought some anti-diarrhea tablets. Popped the first in, went to port and hoped for the best. Thankfully I got the ticket to Siquijor on a fastcraft (Delta Line) which gave me some relief. That bangka hell ride was and still is fresh in my mind. The long delay at the port terminal was tormenting. Hot and humid with a maniacal stomach. For some reason, the medicine tamed the beast for the few hours I had to travel from port to my room in Siquijor. 
Casa Merinda
After 50 minutes on the fastcraft, I still had another 30 minutes of tricycling to San Juan, south of the port. At JJ backpackers, all rooms were full and was recommended to the next accommodation 100 metres down the road. Luck was on my side. Casa Merinda had two rooms available. Truly basic shed type room, it fitted a double bed and a small bathroom with just enough aisle space to access the door which cannot even be opened fully. 250 php a night with free music from the waves lapping at the beach. At this point, I only had a paltry biscuit for the entire day which probably explained the temporary non-movement of my bowels.
Brownout in San Juan
Late lunch at JJ Backpackers. Exceptionally expensive but I had to admit that it was tasty and came in generous servings enough for two. Although I couldn't figure out why they took one hour to prepare my order when there were no other dining customers around. The beach at JJ's has more attraction than the one at Casa Merinda. Casa seemed to cop alot of eco-rubbish. It started pouring and I had to retire to room for the dunny. 

The rain just kept going until 7 pm when the area suffered a power brownout. Casa Merinda ran their spare diesel power generator but unfortunately it was directly next door to my room. I went out with my torch at 9 pm searching for eateries to discover that all had closed earlier at 7 pm because they didn't have a generator. Even JJ closed their kitchen at 7 pm, so I went to bed early and hungry, entertained by the rhythm of rain falling on tin roofs.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: