Escaping the madness

Trip Start Feb 21, 2004
Trip End Apr 26, 2004

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Honduras  , Atlántida,
Wednesday, April 7, 2004

I arrived at the Jungle Lodge in Pico Bonito National Park just as the sun was setting. It had been a long day. After an anxious wait in the morning, Kath finally showed up at 10:45, only two hours late! Sharing the ride were her two kids, Josh and Jeronimo, the latter who decided my name was Wilkin, and a friend of Kaths, Denia. There was some nice mountain scenery on the drive into San Pedro Sula, and we stopped there briefly to get some food. The scenery along the coast was fantastic. Beautiful green mountains, and palms everywhere. When we arrived in La Ceiba I went and booked a bus ticket for the ride to Tegucigalpa, and then continued onto the Jungle Lodge with Denia. I had a fantastic spaghetti bolognaise meal for dinner, my first for a while, and had a few beers with some Americans before heading to bed.

The next day I met a couple from Seattle, and decided to join them on a zipline tour not far from the lodge. The first few lines were long, and I caught some rays on a rock before we began the 45 minute hike up into the jungle. I was impressed with our young guide, who knew the medicinal plants as well as most of the other guides I'd had on short hikes. It took about two hours to get back to the river near the lodge, riding on about 8 ziplines, and taking a short detour to a nearby waterfall. I took in easy during the afternoon, downing a few beers and laying in the rockpools near the lodge. Later that night Oscar, Kath's husband and the owner of the lodge, showed me a strange little bug with highlight green eyes. As there were no lights at the lodge it was quite weird to see two little green dots flying around.

The next day was fantastic. My first White Water Rafting experience! The training was a little scary though, as we had to jump into the rapids and float down feet first. Once we were in the raft it was all fun though! I didn't fall out, but nearly did on a few ocassions. One of the other rafts took a big tumble at one stage! All in all we spent about 3 hours paddling down the Rio Cangrejal.

That night I had yet another fantastic meal prepared by the guys at the lodge, and met some great American's, all working in peace corps around Honduras. We chatted until the early hours of the morning, and later on Oscar joined us to show us some card tricks. I was in no rush to go to bed as my bus for Teguc didn't leave until 1pm the next day.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: