Back home! (and so happy that it's not humid!)

Trip Start Jul 13, 2010
Trip End Aug 12, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
My house

Flag of Canada  , British Columbia,
Thursday, August 12, 2010

Well, we are back...did some last-minute shopping before having a quick lunch and stuffing the morning's purchases into the luggage.

My cousin drove the luggage and three of the four kids to Narita airport while I took the JR train with the boy (he wanted to go with me and since he was still 5 years old - nudge, nudge, wink, wink - I didn't have to pay train fare for him). I still think I could've sat in the back with the boy on my lap but my cousin wouldn't have any of it. Anyway, I took the regular train so it took me 3.5 hours to get to Narita and less than 2 for my cousin. She won the race. If I paid 3 times the price, I would've beaten her. :P

Good thing we left at 1 pm because it was 4:30 by the time I got to the check in area of the airport and closer to 5 by the time I got my boarding passes printed up (thank goodness for online check in! But I wished I had printed it up at my cousin's place) and to the check in counter. By then I had 15 minutes to get to the plane and it was still a looooooong way to the gate. And guess what?!? My cousin (I'll put the blame on her since she was the only responsible adult in charge) left MY carry on bag somewhere and had to go back to get it. Since the staff at Narita airport are such diligent workers, they had already spotted my unattended luggage and took it away. (Since it was sitting around for over an hour) My cousin and her older daughter came running back with a stewardess-like woman and my bag because the owner of the bag (me) had to show her passport and sign for the bag. By this time it was about 5:05 and we had 5 minutes to get through the first security check and the immigration person before the actual gate. We got past the immigration person at about 5:15 (already late) but slightly comforted by the fact that the mother and son behind us were also on the same flight as standby passengers. But, as soon as we were good to go, the race was on! As we were running for the gate, I heard the call for passengers on AC4 to go the the gate NOW. Argh! Got to the gate and in line. Whew! (*sweat, sweat*) I was drenched. Ha, and I met a fellow Japanese teacher from the Island on the same flight! What a small world!

Got settled in the plane and ate most of our snacks (I was starving...) and was happy when they served dinner (choice of seafood curry or chicken pasta in a cream sauce). Breakfast was either scrambled eggs and hashbrown potatoes on a bed of sauteed tomatoes and eggplant (I think) or "okayu" (same as congee). I forced the kids to shut off the TV and rest for a bit; I think we all managed to get 2 or 3 hours of sleep. Overall, a good trip. Nice to be back home, though. :) Trevor is due back tomorrow (Friday 13th) from Australia.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


yuko on

hey keiko, welcom home!
glad you all (well we'll have to wait for Trevor's safe return) made it home in one piece and safe!
look forward to getting Japan updates, other those you have diligently posted!
take it easy for a while.... and see you guys soon.

Eleni on

Wendy-chan!! Okaerinasai! (God, I hope I'm using the right one; it has been SOOO long since I have had to use any of those 4 expressions).

I have peeked at your blog now and again over the last month...pretty cool da yo!! Looks like you had a fun, adventure-filled time in Nihon! It was great to see your pix. I appreciated the link on FB too ( you are so high tec!) OMG what a nightmare trying to catch that flight - otsukaresama deshita!!

I arrived the other day from Toronto to my parents' house in Edm, which is where I am right now. Back home in Van on Mon and really looking forward to being HOME....

Good luck with the jetlag over the next week :-( and ohhewww you have a conference to go to don't you....another trip to YVR to pick up Trevor today?

Have you yatsuhashi-ed, per chance?

Ja ne,

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: