Into Breizh

Trip Start Oct 15, 2010
Trip End Dec 15, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of France  , Pays de la Loire,
Wednesday, October 20, 2010

We woke to a quiet morning with orange sky daubed with clouds. Departing harbor went a little rough as first we lost a fender and had to retrieve it, and then actually bumped submerged rocks (ouch!) in the low tide channel. But once we were away and got the sails up our nerves settled as we rode quietly into the swells.

The Isle de Yeu dropped behind as we enjoyed the morning sun and breeze. Smiles all around: this is the life! And we laughed as lunch was served on the cockpit table and sausage rolled off into Pappy's lap and De-De caught a knife as it was about to slide off into mine.

Crossing the shipping lane out of Nante we kept our eyes on a freighter as it crossed our bow. The wind had fallen and we reluctantly switched on the motor, leaving sails hoisted to help us along as they could.

While I was learning the various ways to inflate my new PFD the fishing line suddenly started to whizz out, and I reeled in my first catch: a long thin fish with razor teeth in a long thin snout called "Orphie". It was hooked through the body. Hardly a catch of pride.

As the daylight waned we decided to find harbor closer than planned, and went in to little La Turballe. Turning toward the visitor's dock we saw the famous "Joshua" of Bernard Moitessier. And then we saw there was no more room at the dock, so Libellule quietly motored up alongside Joshua and asked permission to raft, and it was granted. We were tied up alongside an historic vessel.

Her steel hull was only slightly longer than ours, though she is ketch rigged. The occupants were founders of the nautical museum in La Rochelle and they invited us aboard for aperitifs. We got to have a jolly hour sitting at Moitessier's own dining table.

Then we retired to our own cozy quarters and sipped pineau as we fried up our little fish. Its bones turned blue-green upon cooking! But it was tasty and we washed it down with red wine.

Here is the first photo from today.

Here is the route we traveled today.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: