Tour 5271 - 0820 Day17

Trip Start Aug 06, 2007
Trip End Oct 07, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Italy  ,
Wednesday, September 5, 2007


Well - everything was great when we went to bed but during the night we hit a storm in the Ionian Sea. Waves were breaking over our port hole window and there was plenty of lightning. I managed to sleep on however it got very cold and even though we put up the air conditioning it was to no avail. We only had one blanket and it was cold.

While i never thought of it for some reason , Jackie did and wore my cardigan which helped a little.

We finally awoke at 8.55am which was great as we were not expected to reach Ancona until just after 12 noon.

Jackie got up and went to have her breakfast but the movement of the ship from the swell and storm made me a little queasy so i decided to stay in bed and miss breakfast. I weren't the only one to do this as about five missed their breakfast.

I eventually got up about 11am and packed my bag for departure onto the coach. The weather by this time was very good and our trip on the Coach went without a hitch. We traveled from Ancona, passed Fano and Pesaro to the Republic of San Marino.

What a beautiful place and it is the 3rd smallest Republic in Europe. We had one stop at a roadside cafe on route although I got fed up with waiting in the queue and decided to wait until we got to San Marino as i knew it wasn't to far ahead.

The weather is great and we have the rest of the day free. We also have a late start tomorrow ( about 111am) so it is great having this time available.

San Marino is perched on top of Monte Titano and we have a great Hotel right in the centre of the town. It is called the Titano Hotel and is some 600 years old. Obviously it has been renovated at sometime but it has kept its character.

Talk about shopping. It is a paradise for women and to be fair things are very cheap across the board as there are few taxes here. I told Jackie i would met her at 7pm which gives her some 3.5 hours with some of the other women.

I went walking to the main square  and had a Pizza and beer for lunch. While there i saw the changing of the guard which wasn't a great deal to tell the truth. There seems to be lot of Police around in their smart uniforms.

I went and had a look through a Museum which included instruments used for torture during the old days. Apparently it seems some of these instruments are still being used to day which seems very barbaric however these terrorists are bloody terrible themselves and maybe deserve it.   

San Marino was a walled fortress in ancient times and had three lookout towers at the highest point of the area. It then started drizzling and i started to climb the Tower. By the time i got to it, there was a howling gale and it was with quite some difficulty that i managed to get to look around it. I thought it was great and i took many photos. After about 30 minutes i came out of the tower and it stopped raining and blowing and was again a lovely day. I went and had a look around the town but spent very little. Perhaps my time is to come. 

Well the time is 7pm, Jackie not back but not really expected. Onto the Internet and then a supplied dinner. It is daylight until late here so i suspect we have more walking yet.

Then it will be off to bed.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: