Tour 5271 / 0820 Day 15

Trip Start Aug 06, 2007
Trip End Oct 07, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Greece  ,
Monday, September 3, 2007

Woke up at 6am , Had a good breakfast at 6.45am for a starting the coach at 7.15am. Had a good nights sleep except it was too short. We were coach driven to the Port of Athens; 3rd largest in Europe and it was easy to see why with so many liners and cargo ships about.  
Weather was good and we boarded the Anna Maru for our 11hr, 3 Island cruise of the Saronic Gulf. 

At 10.30am we disembarked on the smallest of the islands called Poros for an hour. There were plenty of markets about which pleased Jackie and i could only describe the place as quaint. Many expensive pleasure boats / cruisers were about and i guess the island only survived on the tourist earnings. Buildings were old.

The cruise en route to the island was not particularly attractive although it was enjoyable as the islands we passed on the way were largely barren rock with no vegetation.

After leaving Poros; we received our on board lunch which consisted of three courses. The first course was Salmon and  salad followed by two equally tasty courses. This was part of the $100 US option cruise for the day.

By the time we had finished our lunch,we were just pulling into the 2nd island called Hydra.

This was larger than Poros, more modern and it was an island that did not allow cars or wheeled vehicles on it. Transport and cartage was by Donkey only and there were a large number there. There were battlements at the Port entrance with plenty of old cannons. The temperature was about 31 degrees and we had 1.5 hours to explore. I did the battlements and Jackie did the markets. Jackie also went for a donkey ride with one of the other women in the group for 20 minutes and thoroughly enjoyed herself. Made me envious.

I also went into the Hydra historical Museum and that was really interesting so we had a good time.

At 2.10pm we left for the 3rd island called Aegina which was very large. 

En route we did sunbathing on the Ship deck and it was lovely relaxing for a while.

On arriving at Aegina we had 1.75 hrs and we found the water was very inviting and we were very hot so instead of exploring the island we had a lovely swim in warm water but nice sea water. We also had our swimming goggles and did a bit offish watching over the nearby reef. We hired a beach chair each for 3 Euros and had a great time.

The sand on the beach was a dirty brown and while not inviting the swim made up for it.
We got back to the ship in time and sunbathed once again all the way back. The ship was packed with hundreds of tourists and most were of a like mind as us.

The coach picked us up from the ship and took us back to our hotel. We then went for a walk up to a suburb called Blaka and had dinner followed by a massive banana split. Had to force it all down.While eating there was a great pianist playing all my type of songs so I gave her a 5 Euro tip when we left.

Then we had to pack an overnight bag back at the hotel for our overnight boat trip to Ancona in Italy as once on board no one had access to our suitcases which were packed on the bus and stored on the lower decks.

Went to sleep about midnight.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: