El Nido

Trip Start Sep 19, 2010
Trip End Sep 19, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Rosanna's Beach cottages

Flag of Philippines  , Palawan,
Friday, April 8, 2011

  25 TH March.


   We arrived in San Vincente at about 8 AM. We made our way to the bus station and got on a van headed to Puerto Princesa. About an hour later we were dropped off on the main road between Puerto Princesa an El Nido. As we were headed to El Nido we needed a north bound bus. We were told by the locals that the next bus to El Nido was 1 AM, my heart sank and I could feel my blood pressure rising. Ten minutes later a north bound bus stopped, it was headed to Tay Tay just south of our final destination. Without hesitation we jumped onboard. The ride was good if not packed and again the scenery was fantastic. On the down side some kid puked on my backpack and this pushed up my blood pressure another notch. One and a half hours later we arrived in Tay Tay. We quickly jumped on to a bus to El Nido. As we set off I said to Cathy we should be there in about 30 minutes. There was also plenty of room and I started to relax a little. 30 minutes later the bus was full to bursting with dozens of people having to sit on the roof of the bus. The  bus stopped at every house in every village we passed!! By this point you could actually see the steam coming out of my ears.

  Three hours later we eventually arrived in El Nido. We quickly booked into Roseanna's Beach cottages. They sat right on the beach and were lovely. We dumped our bags and headed out for some food. Cathy had a lovely meal and I was jealous as I picked a grilled cheese sandwich. It came not even grilled and was the sorriest most pathetic sandwich I had ever seen. This was the last straw my blood pressure was through the roof and by this stage I had developed a twitch !! There is only one cure when this happens and that cure is copious amounts of beer!! Cathy and I found a bar with a live band on and we had a few. Cathy got tired and headed back to our room to sleep. I stayed on downing beers. A South African guy came over and started drinking with me. He was the Captain of a yacht moored out in the bay. A $ 6.5 million yacht owned by some Philipino millionaire. We had a good laugh and the drinks flowed. Cathy said I got back to the room at 4 AM wrecked. I'm pleased to say when I woke up at 8 AM my blood pressure was back to normal and my twitch was gone and as usual I had no hangover!! Nice. On the down side I returned to our room barefoot. I had to go back to the bar in the morning and find my sandals.

  The day before we had booked ourselves onto an Island hopping daytrip which set off at 9 AM. We threw our masks and snorkels and some sun cream into a beach bag and headed off. We shared the banka with five Americans and a Kiwi. We all got on really well and we had an excellent day island hopping. We went to some lovely lagoons and beaches and the snorkeling was great especially as the day was very hot. At lunch time we had a BBQ on the beach, this constituted pork chops and grilled whole fish and salads. I should explain that El Nido has probably one of the best seascapes in the Philippines. The whole area around El Nido has huge limestone cliffs rising out of the sea making for a fantastic and dramatic vista. For this very reason tourists descend on this very little but beautiful town.

 We relaxed the next day not doing much but taking in El Nido and it's scenery. We had enjoyed our island hopping tour so much that we booked onto another for the next day. This was a different tour to our last but still island hopping. There are about six different tours to choose from. As we climbed on board the banka the next day we discovered that we were once again sharing it with the five Americans we shared our last tour with. We had another fantastic day visiting more great beaches and lagoons.

  We stayed a total of four nights in El Nido and the journey up was worth the effort. We did however book a private mini van back to Puerto Princesa. My stamina for public transport is not what it was six odd months ago!! Sorry if this blog seems to be cut short, but it is in all honesty. I started writing this blog in Cebu but never got it finished. I am now finishing it in a busy hotel lobby in Jakarta and I just can't concentrate. Hence I rushed the end. Sorry.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


trish and john on

you lucky sod no hang over.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: