Sandakan & Sepilok

Trip Start Sep 19, 2010
Trip End Sep 19, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Malaysia  , Sabah,
Monday, October 18, 2010

   16Th Oct
 The flight out to Sandakan was a 7 Am flight, it left on time and is only a 45 minute hop.
  At Sandakan airport I discovered there is no shuttle bus to town, so we jumped into a taxi. It cost us 7 to get us to our hotel. We booked the Sabah hotel a couple of days earlier on line. We must have gotten a taste for posher hotels because this one is a plush affair. That said it was only 77 for two nights. Bargain. So there we were at check in at 8:30 AM and thank God they let us straight into the room. I had visions of us having to wait until 2 PM for us to be allowed into our room.
 We dropped our bags into the room and went for Breakfast. Oh Lordy. an all you can eat buffet breakfast. It went like this ; PANCAKES & MAPLE SYRUP  ;   SAUSAGES  BEANS  HASH BROWNS TWO FRIED EGGS  TOAST : HOT CROISSANTS AND JAM  ;  FRESH FRUIT ; FRUIT JUICE ; FILTERED COFFEE And I was a pig. One month of none UK breakfasts dose that to a man.
  Anyway the hotel was a delight and the pool is massive with waterfalls and the like. So more swimming and sun bathing.
    We came to Sandakan for one reason only and that was to see the Orangutans at Sepilok rehabilitation centre. It was the first such centre for Orphaned Orangutans and is supposed to be the best. So the next day we went into town to catch a bus there. The bus took 40 mins and cost 80p and got us there just around feeding time. We paid our 6 entrance fee, watched quick movie on Orangutans and entered the jungle by walkways to the feeding platforms. As we were waiting a couple of English lads came over to me and Cathy and said there was a young male Orangutan just around the corner down a walkway. So we went to see and there he was swinging in a tree next to the walkway. It was such a special moment to be face to face with one of these amazing creatures. A privilege and an honour. He came down and walked along the hand rail, not minding us a bit. After about 5 mins a ranger came and took him off into the jungle. They are rehabilitating them and don't want them having contact with humans. So we were very very lucky to get so close.
We walked back to the viewing area where the 40 or so other tourists were. Poor buggers never even know he had been there. Feeding time came and a couple of females with babies came along to eat and it was great to see but it did not come close to our encounter.
 Apart from that we have stayed in and enjoyed this wonderful hotel. We have an early bus to catch tomorrow that will take 5 hours to get to Semporna where I will be learning to dive. I know this was a bit rushed but I needed to catch up after being a lazy sod for the last week.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


michelle clare on

Hi ya hun's liking ya pics n ya blog hope your learning to dive goes well keep us posted!!! Ripon it cold dank n some of yorks may have snow this week!!! sounds like ya having a wonderful experience would you mention the food your eating and i hope cath is mastering the hole in the ground bit lol well enjoy love from us both xxx

trish and john on

i would loved to have been there for that massive breakfast,(john). a once in a live time experience with the orangutan's.

ginge alcock on

please verify which one is the orang-u-tan in the picture ?

warren.limbert on

What are you on about Ginge, that was a picture taken of me and you at work!!??

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: