Broken Camera and crossing the "line"

Trip Start Feb 18, 2010
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Philippines  , Visayas,
Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sat. 3/20- Tues. 3/23

Let's see.
So far we have broken the SteriPen (what we were using to sterlize our drinking water) and my foot (sort of) and on Sunday Jon's camera stopped taking pictures.  While I spent all day blogging, he went to go see cockfighting.  When he got there he tried to take a picture but it just registered as black.  The camera turns on fine and the display works, but no light is getting through the lens, so no pictures.  Very, very sad for Jon and for the blog (not that we want to see bloody cocks anyway?) and since we are going to see whale sharks soon, we wont be using the underwater housing we got for that camera.  Blah.  I guess things could always be worse, right?

We booked our flight to Manila for Tuesday, then onwards to Legaspi on Wednesday, which is near where the whale sharks swim and is one of the main things we wanted to see/do while we were in the Philippines.  We have also started planning our trip for the following week up into the mountains to see the "8th wonder of the world", the 2,000+ year old rice terraces covering the mountainsides.

Saturday night we strolled around town and stopped at a local bar to hear a college band that was playing.  Soon we have made friends with a bunch of students who all want their picture taken, they share their food with us (some very spicy mystery meat which we both taste but even Jon doesn't eat!).  I tell one guy I like his shirt and ask where I can buy one, and he just takes it off and hands it to me!  Literally got the shirt off the guy's back, and it was very sweaty!

We sent a big package home to my mom containing lots of fun presents (including a now clean shirt) and mailed out some postcards.  The "post office" was quite an ordeal since I guess they don't send many international packages from Dumaguete.  So much so that the woman let Jon come behind the glass to help her with the customs for the box.  Where is that OK?!  We also sent Norry from Siquijor the pictures of her that we printed out, along with 2 pairs of sunglasses (she wanted ones just like mine, and we brought extra from st.marks street just in case)

On Tuesday we headed to the very small Dumaguete airport to check in for our flights.  After they took our checked bags, which were underweight for the extra we paid for, we decided to take some books out of our carry-ons and add it to the checked bags.  Again, instead of bringing our checked bags back out to the counter, the woman tells Jon to hop on over the scale, behind the counter and proceed into the back to do it there.  I guess people aren't as strict about crossing this invisible barrier as we are used to back home.

We head to the airport bar, which is actually just an open air lounge across the street that serves freezing cold beer at regular prices (how nice! Our beers and lunch at this place cost less then the one drink I had at Newark before we left for Hong Kong).  We head inside to the terminal to wait for the plane.  Everyone sits and faces the tarmac while listening to live music played by 5 blind guys, and in the back you can even get a massage!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


john boy on

So glad you enjoyed your time in Siquijor and Dumaguete
hope to there next year

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: