October 10th-20th: There to Here

Trip Start Oct 10, 2010
Trip End Dec 16, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Papua New Guinea  , Eastern Highlands,
Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Well I took off from Minneapolis, Minnesota on October 10th over the blazing autumn colors and made my connection in San Francisco, CA and watched as night fell before my next flight to Auckland, NZ. The 13 or so hour flight was one long night and when I arrived in Auckland, it was already the 12th of October. I skipped October 11th; I will never know what that day was like... though I'm sure it would have been lovely.
My flights from Auckland to Brisbane, Australia and Brisbane to Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea went very well. The best part about it was my luggage arrived with me and customs let me through without a problem!

I spent one night in PM and it's market before taking a small charter flight to Ukarumpa the next day. (There are no roads connecting the two cities.) John and Amy Lindstrom were there at the airport to welcome me :) During my stay here, I will be with them most of the time and basing myself out of their house. They have been missionaries here in PNG for around 20 years now and we have had a wonderful time together so far!

My stay so far hasn't been all that adventurous as of yet. I've been doing my best to learn the trade language of Papua New Guinea which is Tok Pisin (literally Bird Talk) and get prepared for the rest of my stay. I did have one outing though with John: We took public motor vehicles (PMV's) (All my travel friends will know what these are like! haha) down to Lae and spent a night there. The road, which is the only road connecting the coast to the highlands was in various states of disrepair, but the scenery was beautiful. We were hoping to meet with a local pastor named Roy to help him along with his efforts in translating the Bible into his own heart language of Kapin. To get to his house, we walked through some dirt back roads in a settlement called "Two mile" with warnings of danger in the area. We made it though without any problems at all, but Roy was not there. So... we spent the afternoon with his family and I spent some time playing games with the kids in the neighborhood; they were excited to have a "waitskin" to play with since we don't usually walk around the back alleys. To get back home the next day we had to take an open pick-up truck partway- we were squashed in like sardines and it rained on us. It was a fun adventure.

I have to say that the local people here in PNG are really wonderful on the whole- despite the poverty I have not had a single person here ask me for anything. In contrast to some places in my travels through Africa, this is a very welcomed change.

I do have some plans brewing, so I will not be able to update this again for a little over a week. Please pray my efforts with Roy will go well next week as we work in translating the Bible into his language of Kapin. John will also be working with a language called Yamap at the same time.

I haven't been eaten by any of the big spiders yet!

Ciao for now!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: