Trip Start May 26, 2006
7Trip End Sep 06, 2006
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
A quick list of places I went to over the two weeks:
- Ateneum Art Museum- The Finnish National Gallery; displaying the works of Helene Schjerfbeck and Luonon Lumo (A Mirror of Nature) Nordic Landscape Painting 1840-1910. There were some really nice pieces in this collection. I fell in love with Carl Larssons work as well as Eero Jenerfelt's and Impressionist Vilio Suostöm's works.
- Senate Square and Cathedral- The large cathedral overlooking the square is a lot smaller inside than it looks
- Uspensky Cathedral at Katajanokka- They were replacing it's golden hats (13 cupolas) while I was there, now it's new and oh-so-shiny. It's also the largest Orthodox church in Western Europe.
- Kaivopuisto's Summer Festival - The first signs of summer, drunken dancing and over 50 000 people just enjoying themselves in the park.
- Helsinki Pro Skate Semi-Finals- It was in Helsinki Ice skating Rink. A lot of fun, everyone was enjoying themselves from parents to younger children trying out their tricks on the side.
- Market Square - where I happened to stumble into the middle of 'the changing of the guards' ceremony. I was so lost and confused, I had no idea what was going on.
- The Botanical Gardens - which I found accidentally while I was lost. The glass structure looks amazing, brimming with green life, surrounded by all the flowering plants.