On safari

Trip Start Oct 28, 2011
Trip End Nov 13, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Tanzania  ,
Friday, November 4, 2011

We all rose relatively early to pack up and get organized to go on safari. Breakfast at the hotel was included. We headed out right on schedule. Arusha is different and a great point to start a safari but I would not want to stay for long.

We drove for about an hour and a half through very arid regions. We saw the great rift which is the cradle of mankind. We saw where Mt Meru tossed rocks when she last erupted over80 kms away. We saw the general area where our driver's family had their boma.

We finally arrived at the Tarangire National Park. While waiting for our driver's to pay for admission, we could see some very large birds in the distance. They popped the roofs up on the safari vehicles and away we went. Right away we spotted some dikdik and impala. We saw warthogs and bushbuck but the most majestic creature was the elephant. The African elephant is named so because of the ears look like the map of Africa. There are hundreds of elephants in all sizes. Amazing!

Around 12:30 we arrived at the Tarangire Safari Lodge. When I asked everyone what the thought of the place everyone said OMG...this place is amazing. What an amazing view overlooking the river. There were loads of animals down at the river but there had to be over 100 elephants. You could hear them trumpeting. At 10 o'clock that morning there were apparently over 500 elephants there. Besides the view, the tents were very spacious with ensuite washrooms overlooking the river. There are no outlets in the tents but we do have lights.

We went for lunch and we were briefed by Annette the owner. Absolutely no one is to come out of the tents after lights out. They run things by solar power and the lights come on from 6:30 to 11:00 pm and 6 to 10 am. Complimentary sundowner drinks from 6-7 with snacks. The food was amazing.

After lunch several of us went to the pool. It was very refreshing. It is extremely hot in the sun. Only 2 trucks went for the evening safari. While we were getting ready we watched a monkey jump into one of the trucks. Too funny. There is a lot of wildlife on the grounds. Dikdik, impala, warthog and there is a lot of elephant poo. You decide....

The ride was awesome. We got up and personal with several elephants. It was fun watching the baboons. We saw a pregnant giraffe. The light was amazing as the sun was going down. We got a lot of great pics.

After dinner we played cards and yahtzee and most headed for bed. It was still really hot out. When Dennis and Sheila were going to bed they said to us that there was something beside the tent. It turned out to be a warthog. Thank goodness it was not the lion that came to visit a few days ago. Not sure how well everyone was going to sleep tonight!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Kevin on

Everything sounds so inspiring in every way :)

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: