Monhegan Island...

Trip Start Jun 19, 2010
Trip End Jul 02, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
The Trailing Yew

Flag of United States  , Maine
Friday, June 25, 2010

We woke up to a beautiful morning on Friday and had a nice breakfast at the Gosnold Arms before heading across the road at 8:30am to catch the ferry.  Larry got up very early that morning though and went down to the dock to watch the lobster fishermen prepare the bait and load the traps onto their boats.  By the time the Hardy III left the dock to take us to the Island, the whole bay at New Harbor was  filled with the small colorful buoys identifying the locations of the lobster traps.  We learned that each fishermen had their own unique colored buoys so they could identify their traps.  We realized that the delicious Lobster Pie that I'd eaten the night before, was probably made with from a lobster from one of these traps. 

One thing I'd forgotten to mention is that the movie "Message in a Bottle" was partly filmed at and on this wharf in New Harbor.  The dockside restaurant that we'd eaten at was "Chet's Grill" in the movie.  It was fun to see all the pictures they had hanging on the wall in the bar area, showing scenes from the film and showing how the dock was transformed for the movie -  and yet it was very recognizable. 

The ferry left right on schedule and the water was very smooth for the 1 hour or so crossing, except for a gentle rolling motion. No one seemed to get sick so it was a good crossing.  Larry sat on top, but I chose to make the journey inside where I would be out of the hot sun.  I sat near 2 women who were traveling together:  Joan and Joanie.  We got acquainted and we chatted the whole trip.  By the time we got to Monhegan Island, we were fast friends - and we enjoyed seeing them here and there on the island,  Everyone was so friendly.  

We weren't surprised when we disembarked at Monhegan to find no one on the dock to greet us.  We assumed (correctly) that Drew hadn't gotten our message that we were taking the early ferry.  That was fine.  We figured we could find our way.   We put our luggage on the pick-up truck which was making the delivery to the Trailing Yew, and started walking up the hill from the landing, taking pictures all the way.

A word or two about Monhegan Island:  There are no cars allowed and no bicycles (although we did see one person riding a bike).  Strollers are discouraged but we saw a few of those too... and we saw some older people on golf carts.  It's just that the village itself is very small.  The dirt roads that pass through the village are very narrow and are to accommodate the pick-up trucks owned by business owners and innkeepers - and are used for deliveries etc.  The trucks have the right of way and the pedestrians are expected to move out of their way.  We were busy taking it all in when surprisingly, we saw Jessica and one of her bridesmaids approaching us, pulling a small cart filled with the "gift bags" that she was delivering to the hotels to put in the rooms of each wedding guest.  (She is incredible at organizing special details). 

We got registered at the "Trailing Yew" and were pointed to our room.  There was a main house to the Inn, and otherwise there were little cottages and a couple of other homes on the property.  We were in the old home nearest the ocean and we could see the water from our upstairs corner room.  We had a wonderful breeze in the room and it felt cool, despite the warm temperature outside, so we knew it would be wonderful for sleeping.  And the biggest surprise of all was that there were TWO bathrooms in this house... and both of them had electricity!  No problems... no worries.  We really enjoyed the kerosene lamps in our bedroom too!  It's not surprising that we found ourselves reaching for light switches as we came into a dark house that night though!  That's just natural.  Then we remembered... no electricity in the house so we just carefully climed the stairs and made our way to the direction of our room.  There was a common sitting room downstairs, otherwise there were 7 bedrooms in the house - plus the 2 bathrooms. 
Since we'd gotten to Monhegan earlier than planned, we had time to explore the village a little -and then we stopped at a quaint sandwich shop to order lunch.  It was at this point that we saw Drew, Jessica's parents and a few other wedding guests walking down the road towards where we were, so we took our sandwichs to go and met up with them for lunch back at their house.

In the afternoon, Larry and I had time to take a couple of hikes on some of the many trails on the island.  We walked down to "Lobster Cove" to see the remains of a tugboat that shipwrecked on the island in 1948 - then we walked up to the lighthouse to see the view from that sight (it was incredible).  From there, we walked through the old cemetery just below the lighthouse.  We really enjoyed seeing all the homes and buildings in the village and we took lots of pictures of them.  The village was just so quaint and so old.  The island was wonderful.

Before long, we'd passed the afternoon away and it was about time to gather for the wedding rehearsal.  Jessica's parents rented a home on the island and there was to be an outside wedding at the home, weather permitting. It certainly had cooperated so far.  It couldn't have been more beautiful.  Temps in the 80's, blue skies and bright sunshine, with a cool ocean breeze.  The garden area for the wedding overlooked the ocean so we were hoping the weather would hold.

The rehearsal was great fun and we all got our roles down and practiced..  Soon we were off to a wonderful lobster dinner, under a big tent at the Trailing Yew.  It was just a short walk away. All of the wedding guests who were on the island at that point were invited to the dinner and it was a wonderful gathering.  Some were from New York, New Jersey, Maryland, New Hampshire, Maine, (Seattle, of course), and some from as far away as New Zealand, Australia, and Cambodia!  Maine Lobster and sweet corn was the menu.

Lobster in Maine is served whole.  It had been years since I'd eaten lobster... and never a whole one.  I'd only had lobster tail, which is how it was commonly served in Minnesota.  I haven't had it since moving to Seattle.  There's a knack to "owning it" and breaking it apart.  I had to have some help but most everyone else seemed to know exactly what they were doing!.  It was delicious, as was the company, and I think a good time was had by all.  Tne sun and sea air had really worn me out though and I was so sleepy that I went to bed about 9:30!  I couldn't stay awake any longer.   I slept like a log... right through breakfast the next morning!!   Apparently they'd even rang a bell for breakfast but I didn't hear a thing. I don't know how long I would've slept had Larry not woke me up at 8:15.  The big day had arrived... 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Dean Harder on

Your blogs make me want to go there so much! It must be a delight to visit such a layed back destination.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: