Monteverde Adrenaline Day

Trip Start Apr 19, 2014
Trip End May 19, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  ,
Friday, May 2, 2014

After our Costa Rican rodeo experience from the night before we were up before 7 as we had some serious zip lining that needed to be taken of. The hotel served a fairly decent breakfast so we ate there as it was quick and easy. I had a stack of pancakes and eggs. Our pick up arrived at 7:30 and the days' adventures were about to begin. We had prepaid for zip lining when we signed up for the trip so the only thing we had to pay for was any of the extras that we wanted to do. After getting geared up with harnesses, helmets and gloves there was a quick safety demonstration before starting. The zip lines ran through the jungle canopy and were all of different lengths. The first three were pretty short, the warm up I guess before things really got exciting. Gina and I were at the front of our group as they joked that we were the guinea pigs. We did the first 3 on our own, at the 4th zip line our guide connected us to the line together. Since we couldn't exactly see where we were going we didn't know what to expect. Suddenly we were picking up speed, a lot of speed, and we shot out of the canopy and across the canyon. That line was over 500m long and was about 250m above the bottom of the canyon at its highest point. It was so awesome. Overall there was 14 zip lines, 4 of them were over 500m across the canyon while the others were shorter through the jungle canopy. There was also one spot where we rappelled down from a tree and also a Tarzan swing. The swing was like a miniature version of a gorge swing where we jumped off a platform 15m high and swung between the trees. It was great fun. The highlight of the whole morning was definitely the final zip line which was almost 1 mile long. You couldn't even see the landing platform from the start. For an extra $5 they let you ride it like superman so we both paid for that. They connected you to the line in the middle of your back instead of at your waist and looped your legs through a rope that was also connected to the line. Once everything was done you were laying horizontal facing the ground below. With a small push you were off, there was nothing to do but enjoy the ride as you picked up a lot of speed and flew across the canyon enjoying the view below. It was awesome. After a shot hike back to the main reception area it was time for the real adrenaline to start. The zip lines were just the warm up. It was time for bungy!!!

This was a much different experience than last time. Five of us from the group decided to jump. I was in the first group of three to go which was good as it meant less time to sit around and think about it. Here they wheeled us out in a small cart to the middle of the gorge where they connected us to the cord. The order was determined by weight so I was number 2 to go. After the only girl from out group went, they switched cords to a heavier cord and it was go time. Here you were still connected to the bungy cord by your legs but your legs were not tied together like in New Zealand. I actually felt much more secure here. The jump was 143m high which was 3 times higher than my last jump. My form was absolutely flawless and the extra height made it so much better than my first time. I really enjoyed it. The only issue I had was trying to grab the winch cable at the end as with the wind it was blowing it just past my finger tips. It felt like I was hanging upside down forever before I finally got hold of it and they winched me back up to the platform. After everyone from our group jumped, it was time for the gorge swing which Gina decided to do. For the swing they used the same platform as the bungy. The swing wasn't as big as the ones we did in the past but she still had lots of fun. Starving after our full morning of activities we returned to town for lunch.

Gina wanted sushi but unfortunately for her (and fortunately for me) the restaurant did not have running water so they were closed and we went back to the taco stand for more deliciousness. I had the fish tacos this time while Gina had the pork. So so good. We were in a rush to get back to the hotel though as we were getting picked up to go quading, the afternoon adventure. After a short drive to the activity centre we were taken to the start. There was only the two of us and one other German guy so it was nice to have a small group. After going through a quick demo on how to use the quad, we were first taken around their small beginner course. The quads were pretty new and fully automatic so all you had to worry about was driving. The beginner course was super easy but it's their way of determining your competency before hitting much more exciting terrain. The next course our guide took us to was much more advanced and much more fun. After taking us around once we were given about 15 minutes to drive around on our own with the only rule being that you couldn't go out the exit. Somehow I managed to get lost in the forest on the course. There were so many different trails that it wasn't difficult to do. I tried to be smart and shut off my quad to try and hear the noise of the others. I started heading in that direction when suddenly Gina showed up on the same trail I was following lost as well. It was pretty funny. We eventually made it back to the practice course and met up with our guide. Practice time was over and it was time to hit the open road. The roads in this part of Costa Rica are so rough that you can actually go faster on an ATV. Our guide took us through some of the villages and up to a view point where you could see the Pacific Ocean on one side and all of Monteverde on the other. Afterwards we hit some pretty technical trails down creek beds full of boulders. You had to drive pretty slowly as it bucked you around pretty hard in some spots. After about half an hour on the creek beds we finally hit some smoother roads where we could go much faster. The ride ended back at the main reception and we were transported back to our hotel. The quading wasn't what we were expecting but we still had fun.

For supper our tour leader organized a pot luck with a bit of the border crossing money we had left over. Since we got back later from quading I headed into town with another of the guys to try and figure out what we could bring to potluck in less than half an hour. We settled on ice cream and rum and coke because it wouldn't matter what anyone else brought, at least we knew we'd have ice cream and drinks. The food turned out to be pretty good with lots of salads, guacamole, tortilla chips, chicken and of course ice cream for desert. We also made quick work of the rum. A few people went out to dancing lessons, we decided against it as Gina wanted to go to bed as she was catching the cold that I had and almost everyone else in the group has. I stayed behind as well and had drinks and chatted with the others who stayed behind. We debated going back to the rodeo but you had to pay this time to watch the bulls and I didn't want to go dance. We finished off the left the left over alcohol from the pot luck and went to bed. Nothing too crazy. Gina has many more pictures from today, I didn't bring my camera on any of the activities.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: