Trip Start Sep 26, 2013
Trip End Oct 26, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of China  , Tibet,
Sunday, October 6, 2013

After one last breakfast at our hotel in Lhasa we checked out of the Yak hotel which was our home for the past 4 days. We met up with Drujal, Tashi and our new driver and hit the road en route towards Gyanste. The drive started through the Lhasa river valley then headed up the first significant climb of the day up the Kamba-la pass at over 5000m. We hit snow at the top but the scenery was great once we got to the top. From the pass we traveled down the other side to the shores of Yamdrok-tso a huge turquoise lake nestled between two mountain ranges. We stopped for lots of pictures along the way and to be sure we were above the minimum time at the police check points. Show up early and you get busted for speeding. We stopped for lunch in Nangartse, the only big town between Lhasa and Gyantse. I had yak with chilies and more delicious noodle soup. We then continued our journey up the Karuola pass again above 5000m and in the snow. At the top of the pass you get great views of the Karoula glacier coming down off the mountain. We stopped again for more pictures, it was very windy at the top. From there we started heading down to Gyantse with one more smaller pass along the way. This one was along the shores of a reservoir and made for more stunning pictures if you made sure you avoided the piles of garbage in the area around the pass. We arrived in Gyantse shortly after 16:00 and thought we had the rest of the day free but plans changed.

We were supposed to visit the Pelkor stupa and monastery in the morning but our driver found out that the road we are going to be travelling on to Shigatse may be closed for construction tomorrow so we went to Pelkor today. Pelkor was built in the 1400's by the local king and is one of the six most important monasteries in Tibet. We toured the monastery with Tashi and continued to broaden our knowledge of Buddhism. We then climbed to the top of the large stupa which gave great views of the city and surrounding mountains. After the monastery we walked down one of the old streets in town. It was neat to see the old buildings avoid the cows in the middle of the road. We then returned to our hotel. For supper we went to the hotel restaurant which had quite the elaborate menu. I had stewed yak in a red wine sauce with noodles. It was good but heavy on the cloves. Gina had yak steak which was really good. We headed to bed after supper as we have an early morning tomorrow as we try to avoid the road construction. Shigatse is the second biggest city in Tibet and our last taste of civilization for a while before heading into the mountains.

Chiefs vs. Titans for all of Mrs. Coach's love tomorrow.

André and Gina
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


G & G on

Sounds like a great trip! You must have cast iron stomachs! Stay well and

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: