And we're off....ok maybe not
Trip Start Sep 26, 2013
31Trip End Oct 26, 2013
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
I got off working nights last night and got home shortly after 06:00. After packing some last minute items and taking care of some last jobs around the house we headed down the highway en route to Edmonton with a stop in Athabasca to drop off Ace. He'll be spending the month with Faye and Greg roaming the farm as a free dog. As always we are extremely grateful that Faye and Greg have agreed to take care of little buddy while we head out on our adventures.
We got our first bit of bad news via email while leaving Athabasca where we found out that our train ride from Beijing to Lhasa has been cancelled and we will be flying instead via Xi'an. I was really looking forward to taking the train, all 47 hours it was supposed to take. It is the highest train in the world with some passes as high as 5600m above sea level and the scenery is supposed to be amazing. On the bright side Xi'an was probably our favourite spot in China last time we were there so there could be worst places to travel through. Terracotta warriors again I guess.
Our next bit of misfortune occurred when we arrived at the airport only to find out out flight to Vancouver had been delayed. Initially it was going to depart at 20:00 instead of 18:00 and we would still make our connection in Vancouver but it has since been delayed even further. There is now a really good chance we are going to miss our connection. We are waiting on standby for an other flight to Vancouver but it looks full so we are not very optimistic. There is a flight that departs Vancouver tomorrow mid-day so we would still get to Beijing in time to meet up with the tour on time. We did get some meal vouchers and they will probably put us up in a hotel for the night but this isn't the start to the holiday we were hoping for.
Until next time we will continue to wait here at Edmonton International. I'll skip the pictures for this leg of the journey.
André and Gina