Trip Start Oct 01, 2012
Trip End Oct 31, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  , Otago,
Saturday, October 27, 2012

We woke up early this morning with good intentions of heading out early but it was absolutely pouring outside so we went back to bed hoping that when we woke up again the weather would be different. It didn't really change when we got up the second time so we packed up and headed out. We drove down to the Fox Glacier and our first stop was Lake Matheson which according to our guidebook is a photographer's dream on a calm clear day as you get a perfect reflection of the mountains on the lake. Needless to say Gina had been looking forward to this for a while and needless to say the rainy conditions made her sad. We hiked around the lake anyways and by the time we got to the far end things had calmed down enough that there was some clear reflection on the lake. The mountains were still hidden amongst the clouds but it was better than nothing. After the lake we drove to Fox Glacier and hiked out to the face of it. The rain had slowed to a drizzle so it wasn't so bad. Gina was busy offering to take pictures of people who showed up at the view point for them so I am sure her work will end up in many Christmas cards this upcoming holiday season. Her secret plan in doing this was to get them to hurry up so that she could get the location she wanted for the pictures she was trying to take. Very sneaky. I admired the glacier in the mean time and the fact that the rain had stopped. After lunch in the parking lot we drove about an hour south to Munro Beach which had a breeding colony of fjordland crested penguins. I was very excited to see penguins. When we pulled into the parking lot where the hike started the skies decided to open up again and hard. The hike to the beach took about 35 minutes, thank god for Goretex. Our legs and shoes were soaked but at least our core and heads were dry and warm. We walk along the beach and were getting disappointed as there was no penguins. We were ready to start heading back when Gina spotted a single penguin coming out of the water at the exact opposite end of the beach to where we walked. We had to cross a stream to get to the other side and when we did we found the penguin sitting up on the cliff side. Gina took some pictures before we headed back. Of course when we were 5 minutes away from our car it rained even harder, just to make sure we were soaked. From Munro Beach we continued our drive towards Wanaka. The one good thing about the rain is that it created many spectacular waterfalls on the mountains. The drive again today was supposed to have beautiful scenery but we couldn't see any of it through the clouds. Once we got to Wanaka the weather cleared up and the sun even made an appearance. We check into our accommodation, a small B&B and headed to town for some supper at an Indian restaurant.

Tomorrow we have a short drive to Queenstown. We are trying to figure out what activities we want to do. I may be hurling myself out of a perfectly good airplane tomorrow but the weather will play a factor in that decision.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


frostyrunner on

Okay - it is safe to come home Andre - we now have a good dump of snow. Should be skiing as soon as the groomers have been out!!
Sorry to hear about the wet weather. Disappointing I am sure. Enjoy your last day or two. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: