Trip Start Oct 01, 2012
Trip End Oct 31, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Sunday, October 14, 2012

We got up this morning and were in the water first thing. We saw a lot on our first dive this morning including more turtles and a couple of reef sharks. We then had breakfast as we move to the next dive site on a different reef (Flynn Reef) about 5 miles away. Once we arrived we had some time to rest before we were back in the water again. Saw lots of fish and another turtle which I got pictures of. We also found Nemo and saw a stingray. After lunch we moved a little further down the same reef. We dove again late in the afternoon and probably saw the most different kinds of fish of any of the locations including a few schools of bigger fish. We relaxed afterwards and watched the sun set before having supper.

After supper is where the excitement really started. Since they wouldn't let us snorkel at night, I talked the dive supervisor to let me swim just off the back of the boat while the certified divers did their night dive. The lights on the back of the boat attracted some pretty big fish that ate smaller prey attracted to the light but it also attracted sharks that were after the bigger fish. So I got in and swam around watching the sharks emerge from the shadows. They were all reef sharks which are harmless to humans but there was some pretty big ones that were swimming around. It was awesome. Gina watched me off the back of the boat with the dive supervisor spotting sharks and having a laugh if they'd swim by and I didn't see it. I lost count of how many I saw, too many but for me it has been the highlight of the trip so far.

This morning we were up at sunrise and in the water first thing. It was still very wind so the water was very rough. It was a struggle to swim out to the reef as the current wanted to push you away. We saw a shark that I was able to get some pictures of but not as much as the previous day as the rough waters made for poorer visibility. After the dive we had breakfast and move to our final dive location further down on the same reef. Again rough waters and poor visibility made it a but of a struggle. We had a short rest before we were back in the water for the last time. The water was still rough but the visibility improved so it was better. Lots more big fish this time around and one last shark and stingray. No turtles today. After getting cleaned up we had a quick lunch before making our way back to Cairns. The water is really rough, depending on when I look out the window all I see is either water or sky. I am trying not to get launched off the top bunk in our room on the boat which is proving to be quite the challenge (and fun).

We are both doing well other than being tired from 10 dives in 3 days fighting the current the whole time and having numerous blisters on our feet from the fins. Taking advantage of the free Wifi while still on board.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: