Arrival in Lusaka, Zambia

Trip Start Jan 07, 2013
Trip End Jan 22, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Zambia  ,
Wednesday, January 9, 2013

As I was falling asleep after midnight, I was concerned that the desk didn't really take my wake up call request seriously. I told them 5 am twice and the nice lady at the reception desk smiled politely in response.  The alarm on my cell phone does not seem to be reliable as it is not connected to  phone network, so I was uneasy.  I did wake up at 4:30 and just stayed up.  Sure enough, the phone alarm did not go off and the desk called at 5:50 am.....50 minutes late.  

I all of a sudden was not finding my passport.  Where is it?  Well, it was probably at the front desk...I ran five floors down and they said that they didn't have it.  Oh no.  I searched through everything. Finally, I found it jammed into my billfold.  In trying to put it away hastily after checking in I didn't put it where it should have gone, even though I knew it was in a "safe" spot.  There was a prayer of thanksgiving for the found passport.  

Travel tip #49:  Know where you passport is at all times and put it back into one and only one known place. 

The minibus took us to the airport at 6:30.  There was plenty of time for the 9:15 am flight.  But, now more lines.

Just to enter into the terminal there was a security line. Off come the shoes, emptying of pockets, the drill. Checkpoint one done.  I didn't have to check luggage as it was checked all the way through from Dayton, Ohio to Lusaka, Zambia.  So I went straight to the "gate."  More security. This time about half an hour in line. That brought me to yet another checkpoint.  Gates 1-4 had their own separate checkpoint. Finally, I was in the waiting lounge which was jam packed with lots of Chinese and Islamic dressed passengers.  All headed for Harare, Zimbabwe and Lusaka, Zambia where this flight was terminating.

On the plane. Almost one hour delay getting off the ground.  I am learning that it's not a good idea to do an overnight transit in an African country.  I spent 5 hours in lines and checkpoints, getting documentation and trying to figure out what to do next with usually 2 or more choices to make and invariably choosing the wrong one.  The big redeeming thing is when it 's all over it feels so good.

I do like the disposition of the Ethiopian people. It is delicate and elegant...both in men and women. Addis Ababa is 7500 above sea level and very pleasant in climate.  

On the plane a lanky older gentleman started talking to me.  Af first, I didn't understand what he was talking about as he broke right into his own conversation.  He was Swedish who lived most of his life in Zimbabwe, but now lives in Stockholm. He was in the Swedish Air Force and served in three African wars...Biafra, Congo and Rhodesia. He was with a helicopter squadron.  He pontificated about how Africa was being destroyed not only by post-colonial leaders but now the Chinese who were stripping it bare of resources and leaving a mess. He was loudly saying this with all the Chinese travelers around us. He commented how the June 1975 National Geographic spoke of Salisbury and Bulawayo as the two  most desirable places on the earth to live in. He went on to tell me that Africans become Christian believers only to get all they can get  and I had to explain to him my philosophy of why and I how I help.
This flight was on a 767. And it was full.  All my flights on this trip were full.  It's difficult without Bev as she helps keep things in order.  I really don't like travelling alone.  I'm carrying extra things like a laptop, cameras, books etc etc. to leave behind.  It will be good to get it safely where it should be going.
Finally, arrival in the familiar Lusaka airport.  Dorothy Nkhoma was the first one I recognized followed by the Pringles, Nkhoma's and Gracious Mpilangwe from Malawi.  All good friends and coworkers. We are ready to get down to business about church matters in this part of the world.

We went to our guest house in Lusaka and all had coffee and chatted for an hour or so. The Nkhomas and Gracious went back to their place and Derrick, Cherry and I talked for hours and had dinner before going to bed.  How wonderful to be with our faraway friends and coworkers!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


krikketgirl on

Yay! Part I of the journey: success! Praying for you and so glad we have these updates.

jorgedecampos on

Love to all. Praying for your safety.

chuck Z on

Vic, i went thru this inthe Caribbeanas well. Don't leave the terminal. Eat junk, drink sodas, don't leave the terminnal when you get there....enjoy your overnighter in the terminal.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: