A long walk along the Island of the Sun

Trip Start Jun 11, 2008
Trip End May 14, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Bolivia  ,
Saturday, February 28, 2009

We were up at 7am today to be ready for our trip to Isla Del Sol. We handed our key in as they needed us to change rooms tonight. This was not a problem for us as we are out most of the day and they will move our bags for us.

At about 8.30am our ferry set off for the north of the island. This is the slowest boat we have ever been on. We could have swum faster! I even offered some additional fart power to help us along, but this was strangely frowned upon!
To be fair, the Bolivian food has been a bit suspect in certain places so I may have followed through - therefore I returned to my seat without argument.

We finally arrived at Challapampa in the north of the island around 11am. We paid our 10 BOB'S each to go into the museum - well, I say museum, more just a room with a few Incan artefacts in it. The ticket did give us access to the rest of the island though, and it is only 1, so we couldn't really complain.

We had a 45mins walk up to the ruins of Chinkana. They were pretty cool but not mesmerising. Then we had to set off and walk to the South of the island. This was a 3 hour walk up and down some huge hills. We didn't expect it to be so challenging, but we were at over 4000 metres above sea level. What made it more testing is that if we weren't back in time, the ferry would leave without us!! Mind you, with the speed of that ferry, we probably could have hired a pedalo and caught up with it!!

It was a fantastic walk with some amazing views and there is certainly a sense of achievement at the end.
We were stopped 3 times on the path by locals trying to extort more Bolivianos from us for 'Official Tickets' to continue the walk. We did pay once at a check point, but told the rest to bugger off.
It felt like we had run into the Dick Turpin Fan Club. I wanted to start singing the Adam & the Ants classic 'Stand & Deliver' at these daylight robbers.

The first people we stood our ground at were very persistent and one of the old ladies started attacking me with her stick! A quick threat about tourist police soon had them out the way!

The next guy to try it on said that we had to pay to walk the 'Sacred Path'! I assured him that the 'Sacred Path' was actually the walk carried out after unloading a full nights curry into the toilet! Baffled by my response, we moved on!

We finally made it to the south of the island in good time for the ferry, butt we were a bit shattered to say the least.

On the ferry back to Copacabana, we stopped off at some 'fake' reed islands, which were a bit of a tourist trap - we didn't even get off the boat.
It took us 2 hours to get back on the ferry. I'm sure we could have ripped the bottom out and made it a Flintstones boat - peddle faster everyone!

Back at the hostel our room change had taken place and we had been moved to a small apartment - for the same price! Nice. I think they had run out of rooms.
We had a nice hot shower and headed out to a restaurant in town called 'Restaurant 6 de Agosto'. On the way we got caught up in another procession for Carnaval which was pretty cool. When will this party ever end?!

The restaurant played Raggae music all night - bit surreal. Lorna tried the local grilled trout dish tonight and wiped her plate clean! She even found space for some of my chips!! Thief.

After dinner we headed back to the hostel to rest our aching limbs.
Looking forward to heading off to Peru tomorrow.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: