San Jose - Dont hold your breath
Trip Start Dec 14, 2007
300Trip End Nov 04, 2008
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
Centroamericano - $23, ensuite, clean, good
We quickly settled in the "Centroamericano" hotel, which is incredibly clean and friendly in comparison. The rooms are not large, but they are so silent we dont really care at this point just for one night. They also have an offer where the price of the room goes down to $20 if you stay more than one night, and they throw in free airport transfer also.
Anyway, we only have one day in San Jose before Stefan arrives from Germany so we decided to have a look at everything we could (being Sunday all museums are closed...and so are the tourist offices - they just dont get it...tourists travel on weekends!)
After having walked around for over 6 hours, basically the conclusion is that half a day (or less) is more than sufficient for this capital, except if museums are open
One of the things we noticed is the street organisation is totally ludicrous with names. They name East to West streets as "Avenue 1", "Avenue 2", etc and North to South as "Street 1", "Street 2". Additionally they divide the odd numbers on one side and the even numbers on the other side of the Central Avenue or Street. It is chaotic for tourists without top mathematical thinking.
Anyway, good points of our first impressions of Costa Rica:
- Britney Spears is in Costa Rica on holiday! She is spending a few days on the Pacific Coast at Playa Barrigilla(which in spanish means big belly by the way...no connection there)
- Currency are Colones and are approximately 500 Colones to the US
- The "ticos" (Costa Rican people) are incredibly friendly. They are always offering help and asking if we like their country. They love to chat with tourists. They taught is to always say "Pura Vida" if we are happy...they always say "Costa Rica, Pura Vida" (Costa Rica, Full of Life)
- Most of the people speak a good level of English in San Jose
- There are sufficient restaurants and shops to keep everyone busy
Thats all for today! Cheerio