The Beginning of 2012 Vaigasi Visagam Festival

Trip Start Jun 02, 2012
Trip End Jun 04, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  , Perak,
Saturday, June 2, 2012




















 As with all the previous years, I have been writing detailed accounts on this festival tracing it back to its history and significance. However, this year I plan to just write brief accounts on the chronology of events that had unfolded on this day making it brief, crisp and let the photos do the talking. 

Well, I arrived at the temple at around 9 pm. When I arrived, the daily Puja was done and over but the local people were all busy helping out with the vegetables and cleaning the temple. The priests were busy playing their part in getting things organised. As for me, I was spending my time taking photographs around the temple recording these events, as you can see.

The prayers started at sharp midnight and it was brief and ended around 0015. It is very much simple prayers which starts at the sanctum sanctorum and proceeds to the kitchen where the consecration ceremony happens and then back to the main shrine marking the beginning of the festival.

Then overnight, the cooks begin their duty in preparing the food that needs to be served for lunch tomorrow where there would be easily a crowd of 10,000 people. This in itself is a great responsibility.

After the prayers was over, we stayed for a while to ensure that all was on order and then headed back. This brings about old memories as to when I was younger, we used to stay till around 4 am in the temple doing menial things and errands to ensure all was in order and the be back in the temple by 0600 am the next day. I guess I am too old for that and that responsibility has to be passed on to the younger generation naturally.

Even today, somehow we only were able to reach home at around 2 am. I did not want to stay too long as if I had stayed it means that my dad aged 70 would have to stay as well, although he is the temple trustee and has been the person who had instituted this temple. I did not want to put that stress on him and ensured that we were back home around 0200 am and made sure that he had got sufficient rest as we all had to wake up at 0600 the next morning. 

Once home, I ensured that my dad had hit the bed immediately to get his share of rest. For me, I was browsing the web checking my emails and then of course....the most important Facebook hehehe. My brother was with me but then he slept on the couch and I had to carry him back to bed. A younger brother is always a younger brother. Shortly I fell asleep too. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Jay on

It is great to see everyone getting together and doing their part in making the feast a success...great entry as always bro!

venoth on

Hi Jay, indeed bro. Good to see such spirits too.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: