A Lovely Day Spent Shopping In Genting

Trip Start Mar 09, 2012
Trip End Mar 11, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  , Pahang,
Saturday, March 10, 2012

Finally, after the long drive, we arrived at Gotong Jaya, the little township built midway towards Genting Highlands, but also on the slopes of the same mountain. We did not enter into town but directly proceeded to the cable car station. The tickets were easy and the que was not long as I had expected, despite it being the first day of the school holidays here. The return ticket was sold at RM 6 per person for a return journey which works out around USD 2. Due to the low crowd, we got the car in less than 10 minutes. 


Luckily we came today as I checked the schedule that the cable car was shut down a day ago for maintenance. They usually do this once in two months. Well, the journey was nice and scenic. With the car roping us above a canopy of trees, it was nice to watch the flora and fauna of Malaysia right below us. 

As we got close to the peak i.e. the city of Genting Highlands, then we could see the thick fog and mist covering most of the buildings as the temperature dropped drastically. As usual, it was a brief walk from the cable car station which stops at Highlands Hotel to First World Hotel which we stayed. Along the way, we stopped at a small Hindu temple along the way, which has become like a standard practice with me whenever I visit the place. The stop, being very brief however.







The entire walkway is interconnected indoors with escalators all the way on the steep hills for the elderly. For a change, we decided to walk outdoor heading to the hotel. Once we arrived at the hotel, it was crowded as usual. I tried the Self Check In Machine but it did not recognise my voucher as it was a free voucher and I had to go to the counters. Firstly, we had to go through one verification counter who then would assign a que number to us which leads to the right check in counter. The wait was not long and we were called to the counter for check in within 15 minutes. Here, the executive in charge of the check in was very nice, in fact, she allocated us a room to the new wing which has much better rooms compared to my last stay here. But it was only now that I realised that the voucher does not include breakfast. Honestly, it did not matter at all as I know breakfast here in this hotel is crazy. Its like going to war to get your food, fighting between other guests. I believe, although this has happened over the years, they still cannot do much about it as the numbers are close to the tenths of thousands of guests. 

The room was lovely, facing the outdoor theme park. As you can see from the photos, I enjoyed taking loads of photos here especially those that record the change of weather over time, moving from a clear day to a very misty one as the temperature drops. 







We just had a brief rest in the room and soon, we were outdoors enjoying the cool weather. As usual, I walked around taking some photos of the place and then we moved indoors to check out the boutiques if there was any good sale going on.




Once we were in at the centre pavilion of the mall, we stopped briefly watching the performance that was going on. Starting from a Japanese performance, moving to a traditional Indian dance being performed by a Chinese girl and then a Nederland folk dance. This stream of dances and performances start at 12 noon every day and goes all the way midnight. 








Then, it was shopping time. It seems that every boutique store here was on sale and there were loads of clearance items going for almost a 90% discount. We started store hopping and buying loads of clothes, I guess enough for the rest of the year. Hehehe But truly, it was worth it. I think, we almost spent about 2 to 3 hours shopping, which is really long time for me. My usual shopping is around an hour, maximum, but here, I really enjoyed myself, yet being careful not to burn a hole in my pocket. 

After the shopping spree, it was time to head back to the room, but before that, a short stop for a coffee and a tea time snack. Honestly, it was almost 7 pm but we did not feel like having our dinner as of yet, thereby having a snack. 

With that, it was back to the room.Once back to the room, we refreshed ourselves and then I just took that opportunity to take some night shots of the outdoor theme park in the dark. Well, taking photos here was a real challenge. The window leaf was controlled, that being it could only open for a 2 inches gap. I had to hold the camera with 3 fingers, 1 finger on the shutter and another trying to zoom and play with the focus ring, truly it was a challenge. A slight mistake and I would drop my camera and that's the end of it. I also did take precautionary measures to tie the camera to my hand, just in case it dropped. Luckily, my camera was intact and did manage to get some decent shots.





Well, earlier in the day, just before check in to the hotel, we did a brief stop at the cinema to buy some movie tickets for tonight's show. Luckily we went then as even at 2 pm, it was already selling fast for the 10.15 pm show. Managed to get two tickets for the 10.15 pm show which is where we are heading back now. In fact, the cinema is located just next to the stage at the pavilion and there, we managed to catch a glimpse of the current performance which was Chinese Acrobats. These boys were pretty good. Now, time for John Carter....the movie. :)



The movie ended slightly after midnight. Then, my brother wanted to visit the casino just to observe the fun there. So I agreed. We entered the casino and just loitered around for about half an hour observing people. I started getting a little bored and my legs were aching too. I coaxed him out and then we went outdoors for a short stroll. It was really cold and most people were already indoors, tucked in their blankets I imagine as it is already 1 am now. 




After a while of walking, we went back indoors to the hotel lobby cafe and ordered our dinner. It may be a little late for dinner but honestly, by now, I was starving already. Had our dinner and finally we retired to bed at 2.30 am. Really an exciting day that we had here. Looking forward to another good day tomorrow.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Jay on

It is surely a day spent well bro. Most people go to Genting and gamble through their noses but you guys just had a good time there. Cheers!

greekcypriot on

What a lovely jolly good time, in amazing surroundings.
You are very lucky Venoth!

srirsridhar2 on

great photos

venoth on

Hi Jay, thank you bro!

venoth on

Thank you Popi. We surely had a good time here :)

venoth on

Thank you very much Sridhar

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: