Giant Seagulls

Trip Start Sep 07, 2010
Trip End Mar 01, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Finland  , Southern Finland,
Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Having not got out of bed before 9am for two weeks we thought it best to be conservative and go for the midday crossing. Having heard that Finland is meant to be expensive we thought it best to visit the supermarket for supplies. With picnic in hand we made our way to the ferry port. The route took us over an abandoned building known as Linnahall, there was no information anywhere on the building and the only way you could describe it is as an enormous bunker built out of stone which appears from looking through the entrance windows to have once been some sort of leisure facility.

Once at the port checking in was painless leaving us with an hour till departure. Vanessa as always could not resist her food and ate her lunch at 11am but i kept mine for the trip.A piece of advice if you get this ferry - this is not what to do! As soon as we got on the boat we were greeted by signs telling us that there was a 10 euro fine for eating your own food so it might have been an idea to eat before.

Having successfully managed to avoid getting caught eating my lunch and after a quite bumpy 1.30 hr journey we arrived in Finland. There is an open air market at the port selling local foods and crafts which was nice to wander around although covered in the biggest seagulls i have ever seen. There was also a covered market which sells all sorts of specialty foods like Reindeer. First thoughts was this is not for impoverished backpackers! It was 10 for a donner kebab. Also somewhat foolishly all we took was 20 in sterling and when Vanessa went to change it I somewhat uncharteristically shouted across the exchange bureau to stop her when i thought she was accepting their 5 euro service charge. I don't think i have moved that fast since i was about 16. So we had to make do with our 2.30 euro in shrapel left from Germany which was just enough to buy a scratty sandwhich from a turkish guy at the market.

Helsinki itself was interesting, there was a display of hundreds of bears in the main square called buddy bears they were giant painted bears donated from countries all over the world to highlight child poverty. Ours was slightly imperial being the only one of about 200 to have our flag on it and that was basically all it was. We also went to a oe of the oldest houses in Helsiki which had a temporary exhibition on night time it was meant to be a haunted house which would have been great if it wasn't all in Finnish!

After 5 hours we headed to the ferry port for the journey home and decided as nice as it was we would probably not go back for a while until maybe we won the lottery and could afford it!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: