Hurry up and wait

Trip Start Jan 18, 2017
Trip End Mar 21, 2017

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Hotel Herradura

Flag of Mexico  , Pacific Coast,
Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Took a taxi at noon to La Paz ferry port for the 2.30 departure, as Baja Ferries require you to be there 2 hours prior to sailing and it's 18 km from town.
On the outward crossing we'd had a cabin and we kept our luggage with us, but the return trip was only 6 hours so we just booked seats and our luggage went in the hold before we had time to realise all our warm clothes were out of reach and we were in shorts and t shirts!
Only discovered meals were included in the ticket price when a band started playing in the bar, where we'd been sitting for 3 hours waiting to set sail, so we retreated to the restaurant and then to our seats.
As the afternoon progressed we got colder and colder in the salon so we returned to the bar after sunset only to discover it was even colder in there.  Every one else had warm clothes and jackets and we were displaying a world class selection of goose bumps.
I asked at reception if they had any blankets, as I remembered seeing a cupboard full when we had a cabin, and for a deposit of 8 I was given 2 double blankets, which we wore with pride till we arrived in port around 9 pm, when I returned them.
We had to wait a further hour for the foot passengers to be allowed to disembark.  Then we had to wait for our luggage and at around 10.30 we got a taxi to Los Mochis, about 10 km away.  
 The taxi got a puncture.  We waited about 15 minutes for a replacement to rescue us from the middle of nowhere (and all the time I'm remembering tales of being held up at gunpoint on remote roads in taxis).  It was fine.
The Hotel Fenix, when we finally arrived 2 hours later than planned, was a total surprise; smart, chic and spotless, and not expensive after Baja.  Took a while to unwind though.  So very glad we didn't have to be at the railway station at 5 am for the daily service of El Chepe  - aka the Copper Canyon Railway - from Los Mochis to Chihuahua, an 18 hour journey if you do it all in one go.
We went there by taxi later in the morning to buy tickets from El Fuerte, the second station,  to Areponapuchi, much higher up the Sierras.  Ask Mr Google about El Chepe to get an idea of what an adventure we have in store.
Got a bus to El Fuerte and spent the afternoon wandering round the delightful little town on the bank of the Urique river,  surrounded by the remains of the last tropical dry forest in Latin America.  Had the best meal in Mexico so far and it was fish!!  The menu said "filete de Labina", which I assumed was some sort of steak.  No idea what it was in English, but it was delicious.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: