Cable cars and prison bars

Trip Start Apr 22, 2011
Trip End May 05, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , California
Sunday, May 1, 2011

So…as expected Friday morning we felt, well, for want of a better word….rough! Actually, when I say Friday morning, it was closer to the afternoon!  It hurt!  A LOT!  I would love to put the blame on the heat (it's not that warm) or jet lag (we’ve been here over a week), but actually, I will put the blame solely in the hands of Q Bar in the Castro – who has a buy one get one free ALL night!?

Anyway, Mark and I grabbed a subway to try and make us feel a bit more human, whilst Jess went back to sleep. Determined to try and salvage some of our day, Mark and I decided to ride the cable cars in to the heart of San Francisco. 

We stopped off at the cable car museum, then got on a rather packed trolley downtown.  Mark was very excited to be able to hang off the side – I was not!  Anyone who knows how accident prone this boy can be will know why I felt so nervous!  But despite some rather close calls with big busses heading the other way, he impressed me by staying for the whole journey.

We collected Jess and headed along Fishermans wharf and popped down to Pier 39 to see the sea lions then along to Pier 35 to catch our boat to Alcatraz.  The boat was a bit delayed, but we still managed to get out there for sunset.  We were route marched up a rather steep hill and showed into the shower rooms to collect our walking tours.

At this point the three of us kinds of separated as we had our own personal tour guides to listen to through headphones.  The stories we heard as we walked around the dilapidated prison were from previous guards and in mates.  The cells were even smaller than expected, especially when you got to go inside them.  I was a bit disappointed that so many areas are out of bounds to protect the history, but you still got to see plenty and hear all about the foiled escapes from the 50s and 60s.

One of the highlights had to be the opening and closing of the cell doors – now that is a sound you never want to hear.  We felt a bit rushed towards the end as the last boat was 9:20pm and you did not want to get left there!  So we hopped on the boat, Jess and I got some dinner, whilst Mark headed home as the boat had brought on a late on-set hangover.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Sis on


When you get back you will have to come over and show Callum all the pic etc, I only get a chance in the evening to read this so be lovely to hear it from the horses mouth if all 3 of you are free, come over and I will cook dinner and over a couple bottles of wine and you can tell all of us your grand adventure!!. Have a safe journey home all of you as I may not be able to rad the end of this until a couple of days later x

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: