Ferries to the islands

Trip Start Aug 23, 1996
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Greece  ,
Thursday, May 7, 1998

We jumped on the underground in Athens. Nothing like the one in London, a lot smaller but you would expect that from a city the size of Athens. We jumped off at the required stop and made our way down to the ferry port. After checking out a few different booths, we used our student cards once again to get the tickets that we needed to get to Naxos. We found the boat, showed our tickets and made our way upstairs to find a seat to sleep in. Now these ferries are not the most comfortable way to travel but they are the way we were going to get around. The thought also did cross my mind that in the past a couple of these had fallen over. Its funny, we all walk down roads, catch planes and get in cars, but those thoughts never seem to cross my mind. Eventually, we arrived at the port of Naxos. After going down to the doors to get out, we were instantly mobbed by touts trying to get us to look at their rooms. We picked out one, which was not on the main strip but a five minute walk away. Time for food, so we sorted this dilemma out and then we hit the road to get a scooter as there was various things we wanted to see. There was part of an old Greek temple plus a couple of incomplete Zeus's. Also, the swordfish steaks here were great. It was time to move on so we went to the wharf and caught a ferry to Paros. As usual, the touts were awaiting us and we soon had a hotel Here, we hired a dirt bike as there were loads of mountains to climbs with little churches on top of them, which needed to be explored. We ate some more good Greek food here before we moved onto Anti Paros, a little island jus a small ferry ride away. After a couple more days here, we realised it was time to move on so we bought some tickets to go to Samos, but one problem, the ferry didn't arrive as there was a storm in Athens. As we had checked out of our hotel, we had to wait five hours and around three in the morning, the ferry arrived. We hopped on, had a snooze and eventually arrived in Samos. One of the bigger islands. We were here because our flight was from Izmir in Turkey and there was a ferry to Kusadasi. This island was different, there were no touts awaiting for us here, so we had to find our own hotel. Once we had a hotel, we hired bike and went exploring the island. It was a lovely island, and Lucy had a superb mousaka, but have you ever had one of the those days where you are riding and you can feel something is wrong with the bike, well, around a hairpin, the front went and we went skidding down the road. We stood the bike up, checked the road surface and there was no gravel and I had been going slow, less than 15 kilometres an hour, neither of us were hurt badly, so we went around the next hairpin, and the front went again but this time I managed to save it. As the bike was slightly smashed and somehow I had kept my id and I had given a fake address, it was decided to drop the bike off and do a runner as the first ferry was out at six in the morning, so at five, we were in a taxi and at the dock. There was a slight hesitation by the customs agents, but they let us on. We had managed to escape. Turkey, here we come
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: