The Hospital Diaries - Part 1

Trip Start Aug 23, 1996
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  ,
Friday, May 18, 2007

Day 1
I was moved into a mixed ward and a doctor gave me a checkover. It was the same routine that I had been through previously. I always find it funny when they ask you to lift your arms, and my left one doesn't move. I personally don't think that they believe me !!!
Day 2
I awoke in pain as usual, the drugs still don't work, but do they make it worse ??? A doctor came and visited me with 5 students. I did the usual movements or lack of, then came the questions. Do I have male to male sex? Could I have aids? How many sexual partners have I had recently? The voices are always quiet when being asked these three !!! I was also asked what countries I had been to in the year that the problem started. I also explained that I had had Hep E. The doctor looked at me and said E. I said, yes, the one after D !!! He said normally it effects only pregnant women. Seeing I'm not a woman or preggers, the last time I looked that was, he should do a little research. He said a neurologist would come and see me and I would be moved to their ward. I would also be getting some tests including an MRI scan. I lay waiting all day, but nobody else came to see me here, medically that is, well other than the nurses. They take my temperature and blood pressure a million times a day, so it beats the monotony of just lying here. Hopefully tomorrow things might progress, but until then, I will sit here with my gay looking left wrist !!! Oh what an exciting life I lead !!!
But wait, there is a little more. Under the cover of darkness, I was shipped out to a new wing. The Ruth Myles area. I now had a private room. My B O must be working !!!
Day 3
My new private room is nice. I even got five hours of uninterrupted sleep !!! It's amazing how you miss having your own shower, I stayed in for a while just enjoying it. A nurse told me that the program for today would be that I would get an MRI scan today. Whilst I waited, all of my friends were ringing me - 02087252561, if you don't have it that is. I gave a load of blood which is going off for some tests. They want to check for Hepatitis and Cancer, just to name a couple. Lunch came and went, I fell asleep as it looked like nobody would be visiting me, medically wise. At around 14:30, three people came in. They announced that they were students and wanted to know all. I did the usual tests, then I mentioned the diving trip and how the problem escalated straight after. They were eager to listen. They wanted to know about my trips, so that was the end of the check up, and I became Uncle Davros, the traveller we all know. An hour later they left me. A nurse came in and took my blood pressure and it has risen again. I have never had high blood pressure and I am concerned. There is no MRI scan today !!! What am I doing here ??? An hour passed by, then a doctor entered. He explained that the MRI should be done tomorrow !!! He said that my blood is now also with the infectious diseases department because of the countries I have been to. It kind of makes me feel better that some things are being done. I know it's not fast, but at least people are on the case. Also Simon came to visit in the early evening. It was great to catch up and hear about the weekend he just had. I have actually enjoyed myself today. The amount of phone calls I received from my friends was overwhelming. It's times like this that you realise that hey, people do like you, or they're just suckholing to remain on the will !!! I believe the suckholing part because I do know some of the boys out there would like to get their hands on my 750 Sport. Isn't this right Alan, Paul, Iain, to name just a few, but you will have to fight Lucy for it as she is the holder of the keys !!!
Day 4
I awake at 05:00 in agony. My upper and lower arm is screaming at me. I call for the nurse and ask for a lead aspirin, but they will only give me pain killers which only numb the pain. I know suicide is wrong, but sometimes this is all I can think of to put me out of my misery. Fuck I am down this morning, but then again, things can only improve, I do have the rest of the day to look forward to.  A couple of hours later, I received some calls and I felt better. I re-read what I wrote before, I am still down, but not as bad. An orderly came and took more blood for more tests. I asked him what for, but he was unable to tell me why. Whilst writing this, a group of doctors came and saw me and they were unable to tell me when I would be getting an MRI scan. They did tell me that I would be moved from this room as a bed is now available in the neurology ward. Oh well, how many beds can I get in a short time. This will be bed number 4 !!! And I won't be on the above number anymore. After lunch, a nurse came in, not to move me but to let me know that my MRI scan is scheduled for 14:30.  Lucy sent a quick mail out to the BT people and I got a call from the illegallest immigrant in the UK, even more dodgy than me, Jatinder, wishing me luck. It's moments like these that I need today as I can't get this down feeling out of me. Lucy also told me of the well wishes I have received, and yes Brent, I might take you up on the old Rams balls you have so kindly offered !!! Then the time came to take me to the MRI scan. They chucked me in a wheelchair and off we went. Once there, I filled in a form giving permission, but it said I was not allowed to wear jewelry. I have a nipple ring, and I can't get it out, so it was staying. They put me on this platform, stuck a Hanibal Lector mask over my face, and into the scanner I went. There were loads of weird noises, so I lay there listening for half an hour. Once finished, I was wheeled over to the porters waiting area. I sat for 15 minutes before I asked if I could walk back as my legs do work. Once back, I grabbed my bags and off I went to the Atkinson Morley ward, Kent wing, bed 4. As soon as I lay down, a neurologist came over. She gave me the usual tests plus some added ones. After she left, another one came over and did the same tests. Then she made an announcement. As the MRI results will not be back until Monday, I could go home. You wouldn't believe how happy this makes me. I burst into tears because I thought I would be sitting here. Thank god for miracles. I did question the doctors about what could be wrong and they are saying it might be a neck injury and I will have to have an operation if worse comes to worse.
So now where I sit, I have to be back on Monday morning at 08:00. I could go away to Belgium and France but I really don't think my arm and hand could handle it, so I will be sitting in my flat in Putney, just resting, just taking it easy.

Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


thistlemoon on

YAY! :)

I am so glad you get to go home, even if it is only for a little while. It should be enough to keep your peace of mind! And your spirits up a bit!

I will keep my fingers crossed for you that they figure out what is going on SOON so that you are able to then start getting some help for that!

Enjoy the weekend!
My best wishes for your recovery!


laorfamily on

Feel better

Feel better David. Glad you have a positive mind set, that's half the battle.

zento on

Hospital hours?
Are you going to be in the hospital this week as well? Is it possible to come visit you?

Take care,
Lu and Ed

rbisset on

Get Well Soon
Hope you're feeling better soon dude!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: