Trip Start Dec 03, 2008
Trip End Oct 14, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  , South Island,
Thursday, March 12, 2009

Brian and I were lucky enough to find jobs while we were in Queenstown.  We were hired to work the New Zealand Golf Open for 4 days.  When we got there we were told we would be in the corporate tents because we both had experience.  :)  I worked as a beer-cart girl in college on a golf course and Brian worked in the clubhouse at a course during summers too.  I must say, we probably had 2 of the best jobs there.  We each were assigned to a tent and just had to serve drinks, which they could also get themselves, and set up lunch for them. 

Brian got the Heineken Tent which seems to suit him well.  There were lots of young guys in and out all weekend and they served a ton of beer.  I was given the Michael Hill tent.  Michael Hill is the course's owner and the sponsor of the entire Open.  At first I was excited but realized soon realized that the only people coming to eat were a handful of his employees.  So, my tent was dead most of the time and Brian's was crazy. 

We were just so lucky to be able to work in an atmosphere like that.  It was beautiful!  We were also right on the 18th hole so we got to see all the ending ceremonies, etc.  Michael Hill puts on quite a show. 

After working the golf outing Brian and I decided to go out and meet our buddies for drinks.  We were in the really small town just near the golf course.  There was one main street that we were trying to find in the dark.  We headed down this hill (I wont name names on who was driving).  At the bottom of the hill we took a left but were supposed to take a right, so we backed up...a little too fast and backed into this wall of dirt behind the car.  Not thinking anything of it, we drove on towards our meeting place.  We found a spot to park and once the car was off I questioned Brian about the funny smell coming from Miles.  We got out of the car and I happened to look into the muffler where I saw that the tail pipe was literally STUFFED with dirt and mud.  So, we had to get out one of our knifes and fork and took turns laying on the pavement in the dark digging out the dirt from our tail pipe.  Once we couldn't reach in any further with our cutlery I told Brian to start the car and see if the rest would just blow out.  Sure enough it did.  Thank God.  There had been a number of people walk by and either look at us like we were crazy or ask if we needed help.  After that we walked in the bar 20 minutes late with the dirtiest hands you'd ever seen. 
We had such a good time with our work friends that we stayed in Queenstown through St. Patrick's Day to celebrate with them.  We had a good time and got to enjoy the nightlife of Queenstown a little more.  It did make me miss celebrating in Chicago, but I did get a free hat from one of the bars so that made up for it.  :) 
After St. Patties, we went to Lake Wanaka to get away from Queenstown.  It is right on Lake Wanaka.  We stayed at a campsite on the water and not another sole in sight.  Being out of Queenstown we could see billions of stars.  We had a few good days here just relaxing.  We went a did Puzzle World.  When we left we both were dizzy and felt stupid it took us over an hour to do their outdoor maze.  Duh.  But it was pretty fun and lots of good photos.    

During those few days, I also got to know two volunteers that sat outside my tent.   Brian and I are now staying with one of them, Elaine, and her husband, Merv.  They are wonderful.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: